Thread: Need some advice for a topic for my term paper (and maybe a thesis too)

Need some advice for a topic for my term paper (and maybe a thesis too)

I've been thinking and have found it difficult to come to a definite decision regarding a term paper topic. I was wondering if anyone can suggest something. The criteria is that it must be something signifigant in American history, and it can have happened during any time period. It must be a minimum of 15 pages. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas for something that wouldn't be too broad or too specific to cover in 15 pages, as are most of the ideas I've already come up with are. It would be even better if it was something technology related (so I can actually take interest while doing research), but anything is fair game. I also will need a thesis statement, I'm not asking for advice on that, but if you have one in mind for any of your topic suggestions, I'm open to all advice at this point.

Well you could do something on the Civil War.

The effects of the Civil War on America.

The Great Depression

The California Gold Rush.

The Battle for Independence.

Theres just a few.
    =

Like I said, I can think of very many things, but they're all too broad for a 15 page paper. Thanks for the ideas though.

On a side note, if it matters to anyone, I'm in 11th grade, and this is for my AP U.S. history class.

Cheyenne almost got there

The battle of Flamborough Head (1779) and the CSS Alabama (1860) The history of the Commerce Raider and the United States Navy

I can help you with both...I ate an excellent sea bream that was caught over the wreck of the "Bon Homme Richard" only the other night. We (the Brits) built the Alabama, to participate in the "Northern War of Aggression" (1860-65)

Flamborough Head is just across the bay from me

The Alabama was built about three hours drive away.

Well you could write about Henry Babbage and his "mathematical engine"

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil

Well you could write about Henry Babbage and his "mathematical engine"

Cheers
    Unfortunately, it has to be US history. I was actually considering Babbage until I realized he wasn't american. I think I've found a topic though. It was a series of FBI programs called COINTELPRO, the feds abused their power to suppress many political dissidents.

My dear fellow:

Unfortunately, it has to be US history
    In 1776 the American colonists declared independence? the American War Of Independence went on for some time after that...... in 1779, the 32 gun American frigate (built by the French) "Bon Homme Richard" under the command of Capt. John Paul Jones USN turned up off my coast, for a spot of commerce raiding against the English.

In 1860, Jefferson Davies et al ceceeded from the Union. Harper's Ferry & all that stuff?....You might know this as the "American Civil War" (aka The Northern War of Aggression?)

Might I be forgiven for thinking that both topics ARE US history?

Cheers

BTW...I would suggest that you learn about John Paul Jones, in case you are taken on a fishing trip by the USN............not much fun being shark bait?

Cheers

I meant to take that top part out of the quote...lol. I'm tired, forgive me there I meant that babbage was english, not american.

Do something like a local-government decision to control water usage or something. Then utilise size 15 font and double spacing. Bingo.

Wink Re: Need some advice for a topic for my term paper (and maybe a thesis too)

Originally posted here by Viper2026
    It would be even better if it was something technology related (so I can actually take interest while doing research), but anything is fair game.
    Well the only thing i can think of is that you could talk about some inventions in the late 1800s and early 1900s...like the phone,straw,ferris wheal and some other...I'm sure if you search google about some inventions you should get some neat ones which were really important.
    It relates to technology and you could also have a bit fun. The only way I think you could do this is to choose like 5 or so and to talk about each one a bit and talk specifically about the topic 'inventions'.
    Dunno but hope this kinda gave you an idea on you paper or at least it led you to another idea.
    anyways good luck

Originally posted here by Viper2026
    I think I've found a topic though. It was a series of FBI programs called COINTELPRO, the feds abused their power to suppress many political dissidents.
    Not to be repeating myself, but it appears that some of you missed what I wrote earlier.