Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loose weight fast

loose weight fast

Ok, let me start off by saying... I've been lazy and put on a bit of weight in the gut.
    Probably from beer, double bacon cheese burgers and the bag of dorittos that I've come to love.

Now, what I'm trying to do...

I have a formal dinner to go to next tuesday. I just found out about it this past weekend.
    I tried on my nicest suit and it no longer fits me. I need to loose aprox. 2 inches in my waist by next tuesday. Is this possible?

I have since purchased another suit that will work, but its not as nice as the one I want to wear.

What I've been doing since I've found out about it.

Anything I can!!!

I've been doing situps, pushups, running, rollerblading, biking, running up and down the stairs at work, eating salad and multigrain bars, and vitamins. I even got some stacker 2. I know this is not good for you, but I'm only going to take it for a week to try to fit into that suit.

I'm not a "big" person... right now I'm a 34/32-36/32 pant size depending on brand. The suit I need to fit into is a 34/32. I'm shy by just about 2 inches in that. My height is about 5'7" and I weigh 160-170. I normally go up or down by about 5lbs daily.

You know the deal... you get busy with work, school, and everything else and put off the excersice and don't care what you eat. You get comfortable with the girlfriend and know that you don't have to go meet other girls, so you let the apperance slide a bit.
    Is there anything else that I can do to drop the weight in the waist quickly?

Any opinions appreciated. Even the ones that tell me that crash dieting is bad...

I plan to keep up with it afterwards so I don't get into this situation again.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    Eat subways and drink SlimFast, other then that just do what you have been doing till now, jog, push-ups are best for waist( if you don't have any machine). Do like 20-30 push up's and then in about 2 hours do again and so on.

push-ups are best for waist( if you don't have any machine). Do like 20-30 push up's and then in about 2 hours do again and so on.
    Really? I'm not too good with nutrition or working out... I normally do more cardio than anything.

I would think that sit-ups would be better... cause you're using the muscle in that area more.

With push-ups you're using mostly upper arms, shoulders and back.

Is it because you are burning more callories/fat by doing pushups? And you're not burning as much when you do situps?

Thanks for the advise. I never thought bout the slim fast. I had subway for lunch.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Liquid diet would be the only way to do what you want by Tuesday. I wouldn't recommend it for long term.

What it gets down to for weight loss is take in less than you expand and/or expand more than what you take in. Some things to consider on a longer term:

1. Exercise. Not just cardio type things (running, biking, etc.) but also weight training. You need a good mix of the two to help tone muscles as well as build a strong aerobic system. It will pay off long term as weight training improves your skeletal structure while cardio improves your cardiovascular (heart) system.

2. Less fat. Don't get rid of fat entirely but reduce the amount. Eat less processed foods will help with this as a lot have "hidden fats" in them.

3. Reduce Portion size. The US has become the venue for large portions. We upsize, grandsize, max size everything.. and eat it all because mom always told us to finish our plates. A standard McDonalds combo (reg sandwich, reg fries, coke) is around 1,000 calories. The average person uses about 2,000-2,500 calories. The average diet seems to be close to 3,500 calories (per day) and since 3,500 calories is the amount of a pound, simple math will tell you ... it adds up.

4. Don't rely on the scale. Scales are good at absolute weight but cannot tell the difference between fat and muscle (which tends to be heavier than fat). Use a measuring tape around the waist, hips, thighs, calves, chest areas to see losses there even if weight doesn't decrease.

5. Indulge a little bit. You will have a craving for a sweet or treat. There's nothing wrong with that. Indulge a little once in a while in moderation. Make it a special occassion rather than a daily occurence.

6. Have patience. It took you x number of years to end up here. It should take time to lose it. It ain't going to happen overnight (contrary to some of those pills and such).

7. Don't let set backs become reasons not to continue. It is likely you'll "fall off the wagon". That's ok. Just continue. Try to learn what triggered the "fall" but don't let it become a way to beat yourself up.

Some resources worth checking out:

Body for Life (actually has a decent program and plan. You can use regular foods and avoid the supplements)
    Thin for Life (research book on how people maintain their weight loss through the use of a variety of programs such as weigh watchers, Atkins, Jenny Craig, self-made-diets, etc.)

I personally do not advocate the usage of a diet like Atkins as I believe in variety being the spice of life. I've lost 35 pounds since July through bicycling (4-5 days a week) and watching what I eat. I do treat myself to Large Fries and a burger at McDonalds once every two to three weeks but generally stay healthy and make my own. It's paid off in less stress, more confidence, feeling better about myself and better sex drive (*rwaor*).

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

In college I went on the Ramon noodles diet, 2 - 3 packs of them a day...saved me an ass of money and I lost 50 lbs in a semester...

Was eating for the entire day on about 27 cents

/nebulus

NOTE: It essentially was a heavily restricted diet (severe limitation of food intake), which is fine for short term weight loss (smoking also helped with increase in metabolism and a curbing of appetite). To lose weight and keep it off you have to exercise alot (the increase in muscle increases your metabolism) and eat right, takes a long time (took me up to a year before I got in good physical shape after having gone to pot ).

There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

one week...there are some quick diet plans but they are very unhealthy in the long run. Look into liquid diets and some diet supplements that are basicly laxatives, you will basicly lose jsut water weight and gain it back after the diet in a day but it will take the inch or two off....jsut don't do it for a prolonged period.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

MsMittens: Wow! Great advise. Its only taken me a couple months to put on the weight. Or, size rather. I normally am very good at excercising. I havne't done any weight training in quite some time though... just situps and pushups. I'll have to get back to the gym.

I appreciate your advise.

My mother is doing the adkins diet and I hate it. She has lost 40lbs in about 4-5months and she loves it. She doesn't like to excercise or anything like that. I keep telling her that she needs to get out and do something, rather than just watch what she eats...

nebulus200: I have been on that diet too... it really sucks. But its really good for the wallet.

bballad: I'll look into the liquid diet... I won't do it for long. I don't think it too much water that I'm retaining... more the beer and burgers and etc.

Thanks everyone!

I tried a diet once, and what it was, for breakfast, I would have one egg, and some fruit for breakfast.

For Lunch, I would have 8 ounces of meat, some vegetables, and lots of water.. Either chicken or steak. No bread though.

you have to drink at least 80-100 ounces of water a day for this.
    Then for dinner I would have some meat, some steamed vegetables, a salad with lite dressing, and lots of water. lol

You could do that, or you could go on the atkins diet.
    With that diet you can eat as much meat as you want, just no breads for 14 days. After that you can have little portions of bread.
    =

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    MsMittens: Wow! Great advise. Its only taken me a couple months to put on the weight. Or, size rather. I normally am very good at excercising. I havne't done any weight training in quite some time though... just situps and pushups. I'll have to get back to the gym.

I appreciate your advise.

My mother is doing the adkins diet and I hate it. She has lost 40lbs in about 4-5months and she loves it. She doesn't like to excercise or anything like that. I keep telling her that she needs to get out and do something, rather than just watch what she eats...

nebulus200: I have been on that diet too... it really sucks. But its really good for the wallet.

bballad: I'll look into the liquid diet... I won't do it for long. I don't think it too much water that I'm retaining... more the beer and burgers and etc.

Thanks everyone!
    Heh heh heh, it is the beer then...when I graduated from the University, that last semster I ballooned...way too much beer that semester (5 of us floated a keg of killians in about an hour...)
    Even when I was in very good shape from having played soccer and baseball, beer was the only thing that would ever make me gain weight quickly...cut out the alcohol, it has way too many wasted calories (no nutritional value).

/neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

cut out the alcohol, it has way too many wasted calories (no nutritional value).
    w0w.. I was afriad someone was going to say that...

How about I cut out everything else... except the alcohol? LoL j/k

Would switching from beer to mixed drinks be any better?