Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows 2000 "dropping" an internet connection

windows 2000 "dropping" an internet connection

i have windows 2k sp4 with all security updates from windowsupdate. i'm using adsl with alcatel speedtouch 510 v4 ethernet modem. everyonce in a while my internet connection drops and i can not disconnect and reconnect to the internet. windows 2000 still thinks its connected but the connection has been dropped. i remember my sister's win2k computer did this on dial up and my dad's has done it once in a while. this is really making me mad, does anyone know how to fix it?

Make sure that you have everything configured alright. Check your firewall logs, and make sure that the firewall settings are all okay.

Edit: Make sure that you have the DSL Configured correctly...the IP and DNS are not conflicting somehow, and that you have all of the proper protocols running. Aside from that, I don't know what to say.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

It sounds to me like your dsl router is the culprit here, if win2k still shows the interface is up. Can you ping the internal IP for the router? (i use bellsouth dsl and it uses the 192.168.1.x range I believe)

Have you gone into the router to see if there are errors or what the link state says? What lights are on on the dsl router?

We have those Acatel modems at our office and every one in a while they need to be reset. Turning off the power for a minute or so usually helps. If that does not work, I would open up Network and Dial Up connection (when it is down) and right click on the Local Area Connection. Then click disable. After it disables itself right click it again and click enable. That might fix the problem temporarly.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

yes everything is configured properly. its not a dsl router, its a dsl modem. i dont run a firewall and i know this isnt a configuration problem because it happens to every win2k box i work with at least once. i remember it hapening a lot with the blaster worm around but i've been patched for that. i know for a fact this is a win2k problem, not a configuration/modem problem.

(p.s. the modem CAN act like a router, but i cant make it do that due to JTC not giving me the router setup cd.)

Well, I support 200 win2k boxes at my current site and I've never seen a problem like this occur, except when the gear 2k was wired to was screwy. As CXGJarrod stated, those need to be reset every now and then. Bellsouth was nice enough to give us a westel modem for our house, we have to pull the power on it at least once a week, until recently, I think heat may have been playing a factor, so I made sure to keep it venitlated (not put other hardware on top of it) and it's been ok.

I use modem and router somewhat interchangeably, sorry. Even though your hardware is a modem, Id imagine that it has some sort of config page where you can test connectivity, most all of them do now adays. If you really think its 2ks problem though, you could look at updating your drivers for your nic. Some of the newer gigabit nics ship with flakey drivers.

I have Windows XP on my laptop and use WIFI wireless access, and occasionaly have everthing hang, as if my firewall was blocking everything. It is not the firewall in my case though. It is an incorrect IP address.
    I go into network connections and pull up my connection, go to the support tab and then down to 'Repair". After it resets the IP address, everything works fine.
    I don't know if 2000 has the same feature, or if this is what is happening to you, but you might check it.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

yeah i'll look at updating the drivers. you may have to reset it about once a week but its once a day for me. there is no other hardware on the modem. you can only configure the router when you connect it to a switch directly and there isnt really anything to do.

it may be due to messed up isp because i know my isp has problems. for one thing my dns and rdns dont go together. but then again i have had this happen on dial up modems on all sorts of ISPs

What you may want to do is statically set your DNS settings in win2k to someting that doesn't change. If I run into a situation where an ISP sends me crap DHCP variables, I statically set to the main DNS servers of a local university or big isp.

You could get the IP from say, ns1.sprint.net, or ns1.mindspring.com or whatnot, and statically set those in your DNS settings in 2k, instead of relying on your crappy isp.

Just a thought. Of course, some isps might not appreciate you piggy backing on their service, BUT, it might be good to try for uh, diagnostics or whatnot.