Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: telnet/xterm backdoors??

Like said before, this is a feature not a bug..Also im not sure if anyone said anything about it, but you might want to look at reverse telnet and back channeling also...Definetely buy one of the hacking exposed books..
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

thanks for all the advice everyone.

Right now i'm testing xterm/xhost on my system right now, and still having problems.

I created two ips on loopback since I only have one computer at the moment.

IP:10.10.10.2
    xterm -display 10.10.10.1

IP:10.10.10.1
    xhost +10.10.10.2

From ip 10.10.10.2 I get the following errro: "Can't open display: 10.10.10.1"

What am I missing?
    The command completed successfully.

\"They drew first blood not me.\"

Try "xterm -display 10.10.10.1:0.0"

Edit:
    Perhaps a bit more explanation is in order. X windows can have multiple session per machine, and multiple screens per session. The ":0.0" specifies display 0 and screen 0. If you had a dual-head graphics card, you'd probably have two screens: 0.0 and 0.1. You can set linux up to run multiple X sessions on one machine (rather like Mac OSX's "fast user switching", but without the spiffy animation) (google for: multiple X sessions). With a bit more effort, you can supposedly use multiple video cards, keyboards, and mice to allow multiple people to use X-Windows on the same machine at the same time.

I forgot about that part j3r, but it still didn't work. I must be way off somewhere. I read this from a followup elsewhere:
    > localmachine-xterm$ export DISPLAY="localmachine:0.0"
    >
    > localmachine-xterm$ xhost +remotehost
    > "remotehost" added to access list.
    >
    > localmachine-xterm$ telnet remotehost
    > ## Log into remote host
    >
    > remotehost$ export DISPLAY="localmachine:0.0"
    > remotehost$ xterm

so right now i'm trying to fool with this

br: are you doing it in the right order? You have to xhost +whatever first, then open the xterm.

yeah I"m running xhost first, do I have to specify a username and a uid w/ xhost?

do I have to specify a username and a uid w/ xhost?
    No. X display security is entirely host-based. (Yay!) (X was developed back in the days when, if you knew how to use Unix, you knew everyone else who knew how to use Unix. Security was not much of an issue.)

What about Magic Cookies? Yummy.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

hi kyleiscool
    im the same ive just started and it is really hard. damn, ive just today realised that my computer had telenet!!!

cr1m5on: It's telnet mate, not telenet. Those are two completely different things. :-P Just wanted to point that out to ya.