Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Novell Netware flaws...

Banned
    I think everyone has their opinion and though on whether to neg or pos you, i felt like negging you because you "broke" into admin mode without him knowing, you can find holes on your home system and also by telling him what u r looking for, if he doesn't allow you then don't do it. Find someplace else to try your hacking techniques.

I think what people here did NOT like was the whole break into the admin thing you said.
    Yes that is the part, and im also sorry, i shoudln't have negged you since you are new here and still don't knw how it goes on AO.

Whew, a neutral response...

Well, at least you responded to one of the key points of the article instead of blamming me for being a hacker. Thanx.

Edit for above: heh, its kinda hard to reproduce the same environment with my limited resources, and time to boot. You apoligized too, so thanks.

Hmm, then why was the hotkey changed for the one term i did it on?

And thanks (more of it to go around).

It might help if you read what people said to you before reacting?

My comments on you not making a hacker were based on the Novell/Win95 environment you described. You may learn something from this......but it won't be a lot, because it is out of date and unrealistic when compared to actual environments used today (other than in your school, where it is probably considered, "good enough" because they are not teaching you security?).

And remember it was you who mentioned "hack" not I

You really need to try to get hold of a pair of ex-corporate machines, at least one of which runs Win NT4, so you can practice on an OS that has some form of security mechanism. These do not have to be of any great spec. because speed and volume are not issues when you are learning.

You will not learn very much about security from your current environment, which will leave you further and further behind in the real world, unless you do something yourself, or wait until you go to college?

As to whether you had tried a right mouse click? how should I know, you did not say. The most obvious way to alter system settings is through control panel, which I can well imagine your Admins have blocked.

Over here in Europe we have very strict Health & Safety regulations which require that people using computers be able to adjust their environment to their own personal comfort. This means that right mouse click is generally allowed, even though the start menu options are severely restricted (like you can't get into control panel).

You say that the screen settings are screwed up? this seems a little odd if no-one can change them. Your school is really at fault there, as getting yourself comfortable is very important if you are to concentrate and function effectively?

I would follow Gore's advice and ask the Admins. Everyone should be able and taught how to set up a workstation to suit themselves, then it would not be an issue?

I have worked on networks (a long time ago) where if you disconnected it from the network it allowed you to boot locally into Windows. You could then plug it in and obtain limited access, of which internet browsing was one. You could not get into most of the servers though.
    As I recall that was a Novell and Win3.1x environment. I guess that your "hotkeys" have somehow bypassed the network login part of the boot cycle on your workstation. I certainly do not recall the sequence you mentioned, so it could be that particular machine had a problem (it all sounds pretty old?) and the effect was a coincidence. Unless you tried the other machines much later, and the Admins had blocked the hole in the meantime?

Good luck

EDIT: I have tried a Win98 and WinMe machine. Just hitting either windows key brings up the start menu. If you go into your desktop and left mouse click in a space (to ensure that nothing else is selected) then hit the key between control and windows on the right side of your keyboard you should get a pop-up menu, the last item of which is properties.

Yeah well, I gess i was at a fault for the whole "hack" thing... or something. Just a fault on my part.

I tried the backdoor on some other computers with the same login prompt (using my discovered hotkey and the one Mem helped me find) and nothing came up. It makes me wonder if that one computer had that one flaw. Well, time to experiment some more.

As for the whole display thing, you may have it in Europe, but I live in America, and in America, no one wants us to turn up the resoultion of our life to see more things, only the things they want us to see. Seriously though, they (USA) should go with the adjustable environment idea, but it does kinda make sense to shut it off. All it takes is one good placed 80 Hz to the monitor to blow it, unless they set the refresh rate limit.

Update on the admin thing. I can't seem to find the admin in my school, maybe he doesn't go to the school on a regular basis. The teachers wanted me to handle the request with them and not him/her.

And i never noticed the props when you use the menu button. I kinda think itll still be locked... I got too much stuff to do tomorrow...

Hey, what games do you think I can get to run on low end pcs? They're old IBM terminals, all running win95, probably somewhere around 233-300 MHz and onboard video controller. I was thinking about getting a lan party running for my school's Game Club and i need some good suggestions.

Edit: Them as the teacher and him/her as the admin

Hi Chrono,

The other alternative is that an Admin might have unblocked the particular PC you were using and forgot to reset it?

Shame about the screen setting thing, but it is possible to alter the boot up instructions with a command line that resets the resolution and refresh rate. I have not done that for many years, but it would be possible to create a script that would only allow settings that the Videocard/Monitor would support.

A thought in that direction, do you know if the machines are set up for "default monitor" or a specific brand/type? The default monitor thing really is a pain. I just fixed a pal's machine with that...told the system it was an IBM G54 and now it will allow 32 Bit colour and a refresh up to 95Hz. It was 16/60 on the "default"

I also thought that your hardware is rather old, so the electron scanning guns in the CRT may have wandered off alignment? In other words the screens themselves may need some attention?

As for games.....not really my area of expertise, but I would like a bit more information on the tech specs of these IBM boxes. You say 233-300 Mhz? are they PI or PII?.....the real question there is will they support MMX, and what level of DirectX will they go to. What is the RAM in them? Can you give us your inventory and specs, could be you can set up a system with the "best" machine hosting the LAN Party? and the others logging into that.

Also, what are the "onboard video specs" I would guess anything between 2 and 8 megs?
    I think that we need this to make sensible suggestions.

Cheers

Doesnt really matter, even if i knew it, cuz, of course, games arent allowed at school, even for special purposes. Heard it from my friend, who's the prez of the club, but im gonna check cuz im gonna try to run a SVC2 tournament

back on tournament *err, topic*, whats that about this script, and where can i get one?

PS: Who thinks AO should have an iTunes plugin?

EDIT: I meant what about the script; I know what they are. I also meant where can i get it.