Thread: PM attachements showing up in profile

Kwiep

PM attachements showing up in profile

I just noticed that a few attachements I send to the jehnx pretty some while ago are in the uploaded files list in my profile. I didn't check if I can download them, but I think there shouldn't be anything I send in a PM on a page anyone can see. I don't care about these few files, but I can think up things people don't want others to see...

I just checked, and you can download those files... that means their also wasting AO server capacity while they can be removed with the message...

Well... have a nice day...

Neel

That's a good point, there should ba check box saying if you want to have it listed in your profile or made public type of thing. That way if someone would like to share with AO members they could, but if your sending a "personal" attachment it wouldn't be free for everyone to download. Kind of a privacy/storage space issue, very good point. Glad you caught it before I sent something to someone I didn't want everyone seeing < smiles at techtech >
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Kwiep
    Because I wanted to bump up this issue and because I have another small not-really-bug bug.
    If you click the Printable version button it displays the old AO logo. It doesn't bother me at all, but like I said it's more to bump this thread up again, because I think it's an important problem still.
    Double Dutch

Re: PM attachements showing up in profile

Originally posted here by neel
    I just noticed that a few attachements I send to the jehnx pretty some while ago are in the uploaded files list in my profile. I didn't check if I can download them, but I think there shouldn't be anything I send in a PM on a page anyone can see. I don't care about these few files, but I can think up things people don't want others to see...

I just checked, and you can download those files... that means their also wasting AO server capacity while they can be removed with the message...

Well... have a nice day...

Neel
    That's not good! I'll point it out to the powers that be.
    - Runner -

Kwiep
    Because I wanted to bump up this issue and because I have another small not-really-bug bug.
    Maybe it would be nice to have some roomkey resolve thing for conference rooms, as I always delete them accidentally. It doesn't bother me much really, but like I said it's more to bump this thread up again, because I think it's an important problem still.

ow well...
    Double Dutch

I also noted this still exist. But there is another little bug in there as well. (I did not want to make another thread about it, it it not a big deal). Anyway:

On the bottom of someone's profile you will see the 'most downloaded files attached by user'.
    I noted that the tcp/ip tutorial text I once attached is not in that part of my profile anymore.
    The other attachments in my profile are downloaded from 1 to some like 23 times where the tcp/ip text is downloaded over a 300(?) times.
    So the 'MOST' thing does not apply at the moment.

I also noted that the date signed up does not match with the date that appears next to a post you make.

I am glad (as a non programmer) I do not have to maintain that large pile of code that antionline is made of.

Edit:
    One more weird thing.
    Sometimes a thread has 1 or more replies but there are no 'views'. I know we have a Negative onboard but....

Ok, a few things fixed related to this.

Not retroactively, but for PMs sent from now on, PM attachments will not show up in your profile in the "most downloaded" list. If a number of people would like to have the option of including these files in the list, perhaps I'll add the option to show them or not to the PM form. However, if it's important enough that you want people to see it, why can't it just be posted somewhere it'll be publicly available?

Also -- I changed the most downloaded file query so it now returns the top 5, ordered by number of downloads then by date uploaded.

noODle -- Do you see "Mar 2002" beside your posts as your registration date, and "03-08-2002" on your profile page? And you're in the Netherlands? You know, we yanks think 03-08-2002 means Mar 8, not Aug 3. Is that what's confusing you?

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

The logo is fixed in printable versions of both thread and post.

For conference room keys, we don't store key-to-user info, so the room key is the only way access is secured. This is an incredibly poor security system, but it's the way the hack was written and it was never updated by JP. This means we have no way to verify which users should have access to a room. There's no solution to this problem which doesn't involve a lot of code hacks, or else replacing the current conf room system with a different, more full-featured one, if such a thing exists. For now, I guess you'll just have to be more careful what you delete

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.