post date

Thread: post date

post date

Well, i was browsing around the newbie security question forum looking for some newbies to help (being the nice guy that i am ) and i saw a thread called "sub 7". the date the thread started was sometime in early october 2001, and i saw that the last post was at 2:06 AM this morning (12/01/03)...so i jumped to the last post, to see who had replied to a more than 2 year old thread. however, when i go there, it said the last post was 10-09-2001, not 12-01-2003 (see attached image)...is this a bug or did someone bump up this thread at 2:06 AM this morning?

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It's not a bug. That's how the bump up feature works. What we do need, however, is a "Who bumped da thread" feature.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

that would be good...this is the second thread today where i almost posted to a tow year old thread...i feel like neggin somebody

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    It's not a bug. That's how the bump up feature works. What we do need, however, is a "Who bumped da thread" feature.
    If they do do something like this, let me just point out that the bump up feature relies on a link basically that uses your userid when you bump it up. After seeing this I decided to test using someone elses userid on a thread that was already close to the top so noone would really notice or mind. When I did this, it gave me no errors, so this must be fixed if a bumpup is going to be associated with a user, otherwise there will be bumpup spoofing.

I just made edits to the bump code so that it snags the userid from session info rather than from a URL parameter. If we decide to add logging and display for thread bumps, we'll make sure not to use something as insecure as that.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.