Thread: public access sytem

public access sytem

Hmmm...
    I had an idea last night that I thought may be appealing to some users here.

I have about 15 computers, over 1TB of space, and soon to be T1. I could sell most of these computers off as I don't really need them anymore. But why throw them away when I could start a public access system!

I don't know if anybody is interested in working on this with me.

Tell me what you think! =-D

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    1 word for you that is something really important and you must really look into....

LIABILITY

remember,you are responsible for everything on your computer.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Of course I'll watch over it. I'm just seeing who is interested in helping the project. I'm not asking for money, just time and suppourt

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I wasn't saying don't do it. It could actually be a really cool project if done correctly. Someone else here was thinking abot starting a project liike that, but realized it would be too much work.. I don't remember exactly who it was though...

Anyway, you need to be more specific on what you need. Alot of what you will need is most likely already available on the net, so there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Its still a really broad subject so people will be afraid to help out. Those that do say... hey, I'll help... are normally the people that either can't help because of lack of knowlege and just want to be a part of something, or they don't really have the time when it comes down to it.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

That's a good idea.

I'm looking for security guru's. Somebody that can really go in depth with me with the security aspects of this whole project. Obviously a project of this scale demands security.

I also need a bit of a co-partner. Somebody that I can work with throughout the whole project. I realize that my ideas aren't always the best ideas. So many times the ideas of other people have totally been better then mine. This person should know a think or two about security obviously, networking skills, and UNIX administration.

Somebody like this would really benefit the project.

you could start your own community - like gaming
    have some PC's as dedicated gaming servers and then offer free hosting for clan pages that kind of thing

v_Ln

I actually wanted to create something similar to freeshell. Game servers for the community would be cool too though!

freeshells tho offer you up for alot of problems - if people use them for illegal activites you could be held partly accountable. so you would need to make sure you are really locked down - and gotta keep a close eye on what peps are doing

a gaming community would be easy to set up and maintain plus there are a couple of people here who admin those kind of things already who i know wouldn't mind helping

your biggest area of problems with it would be securing the ftp/server for the clan site hosting

v_Ln

Yes, I'm aware of security. That's why i'm trying to put a team here together!!!
    But I like your ideas. I'd like to build a good community around this project.

I'm up for helping if you want to start some sort of gaming cmmunity
    and i know alot of others who would be as well - if you do want to get something of the ground PM me about it

v_Ln