Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novell Network

Novell Network

Hi,
    In a novell network, a person login to the local NT workstation acc with internet access, can the server trace what the web site the user went?
    BlAcKiE
    GearBlitz

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Yes. The firewall tends to take care of that. By Novell network, I'm assuming they are using BorderManager Firewall, which has a nice logging feature of all websites visited by all users.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

In order to log in though to novell workstation...it needs to have novell workstation manager installed on it...otherwise u cannot just log in with an novell account, it will ask u for a computer username and password. I find that often a computer installed with Novell on a NT system NTSetup works fine but thats just here. Ms. Mittens is right u should have a lil icon of a red key in the bottom tray, thats ur client trust and that certifies u to get access to the web and ur pretty much logged. Do u have an account on the novell network?

Erm.. i'm sorry.. maybe i just din phrase y question properly..

Ok.. the senerio is like this.. i have a Novell Acc and a Local NT Workstation Acc.. so duing a login.. i onli login to the Local Workstation instead of the Network(Novell).. in this case.. if i surf a site.. can the server or anything can trace where i surf?

what happen when a user login to Novell's Network? as in the IP Address and DHCP issue.. will the PC get an IP Address even it did not login to Novell Acc? Or, it will onli get an IP Address onli after he/she login to the Novell Acc..

IF the PC gets an IP Address from the DHCP b4 it login into the Novell.. then i guess there is some form of tracing user distination.. Am i right?
    BlAcKiE
    GearBlitz

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If there is no firewall, then it won't matter as it won't be necessarily logged. The answer is still yes. The firewall doesn't care where you logged into. It still records whoever and wherever they go. So the question is... is there a firewall?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by Penguin

IF the PC gets an IP Address from the DHCP b4 it login into the Novell.. then i guess there is some form of tracing user distination.. Am i right?
    Quick answer is 'right'. I can trace your movements based on your IP, it makes it a little harder, but it can still be done.

Cheers:
    DjM

Question

What about with Citrix metaframe?? same senario?

Originally posted here by DjM
    Quick answer is 'right'. I can trace your movements based on your IP, it makes it a little harder, but it can still be done.

Cheers:
    what u meant a little harder? if i can see the IP, i will sure be able to see the computer name.. and since company will give the computer a name when they bought the PCs then i guess it would not be a problem. Of course unless the firewall did not config to log the PC name.. Am I correct?
    BlAcKiE
    GearBlitz

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    If there is no firewall, then it won't matter as it won't be necessarily logged. The answer is still yes. The firewall doesn't care where you logged into. It still records whoever and wherever they go. So the question is... is there a firewall?
    there is a firewall.. and what if there is no firewall? what happen next?
    BlAcKiE
    GearBlitz

Hi Penguin, I am probably not understanding you?

You say you can log into the Novell Network...OK if you then surf the internet you can, and probably are being traced.

If you log into the local NT Workstation and connect to the internet you may well be using a local modem? If it is a dial-up modem connecting direct to the ISP, then it is probably not being traced (other than by the keylogger and wiretap that I installed last Thursday ...sorry, only joking)

I recall this kind of setup from a few years ago. We had a network that was high speed, but somewhat unreliable, so some people also had a dial-up modem to use if the network crashed. It was much slower, but more reliable

If you are using a local modem, you should hear some distinctive noises when you connect via the NT workstation. I would expext the Novell connection to be silent.

Is this the situation that you have?

Cheers