Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISP's - Invasion Of Privacy

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Originally posted here by Lv4

Oh, and if my company was using your company as a dedicated hosting facility and then found out that you were looking at every packet we send out then you can bet that we would drop you flat on your ass with no hesitiation. .

I bet we are your hosting providor. We cover over 2% of the internet, with over 65,000 dedicated webservers we make a nice coverage. Seems like you have some animosity towards me, not to mention a bad additude. Did I somhow anger you? Did you really think that there was such thing as privacy on the net?

Damn, guess you took the "Blue Pill"...
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

It would be nice to believe in privacy on the net but sadly there is just too small a number of isps or anything else for that matter where you have true privacy. It just doesnt happen anymore which is sad enough to say at the least.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

true

Speaking as someone that runs an ISP that makes no effort to monitor traffic type, I hate to tell everyone that it does not take an effort.

Running a linux server with proxy is enough. I mean all I have to do is see what IP a client is using and do a tail -f on the access log and voila I see exactly what you are doing online via my proxy.
    This, I am told by my lawyers, is completely legal and I do not need a contract with fine print to be able to use it. Although my clients will be pleased to know that I do not the time for it

Also it is legal for an ISP to read all e-mails while they are stored on the server although we may not intercept and prevent delivery unless they contain a virus.

just a little FYI
    Dain Bramaged

Personally it does not upset me to know this. All sensitive data is encrypted (or should be,) and any ISP really has to take these steps in the computer world today.

Legally and ethically I believe it is a smart move on their part - it will help protect them in lawsuits.

.: Aftiel

Dr. Toker. No I didn't take anything you said personally, but it certainly looks like you sure did. Defensive a bit are we? I didn't agree with your companies stance, much less the roaming eye of big brother within those organizations. Now I never said I thought there was such a thing as privacy on the internet, but I DO expect a certain level of privacy from my own hosting facility.

I can "bet" you that you are not our hoster of any sorts. Sure, some of our data may pass through your network, but you are not my hosting facility, of this I can be sure of because I know what our SLA's are. FWIW we deal with the largest secure hosting facility out there, and I'm 100% sure that is NOT your organization.

Oh GPF, while it is legal for anyone to read emails in transit right now, it's only a matter of time before the USPS finishes up with their EPM. While Electronic Post Mark is already out and being used by some secure email providers, it is not a fully accepted form of transmission (just because it IS rather clunky). If, and when, EPM becomes the norm then email will be covered (at least within the US) by federal laws just like regular snailmail is.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.