Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Help!

Security Help!

My friend is a network admin and I need some help keeping it secure. He runs an internet service that charges you 15 cents a minuet at the army base I work at. We'er trying to stop people from getting for free. Right now they can get in through word to play the games and get on the internet. The just go to create a link. They go the games folder and click one the .exe file and it makes a clickable extension for the game to come up. From their they can usually get to the internet. For know we are going to disable word but I wanna knw i anyone has any ideas on how to prevent this. Like is their a way to lock up the folder so the games are still playable. The folder is on the c: drives. I know they can do it with more than just word but most people usaully use word. Does anyone know of a way to hide the folder so the games still work. I already tried renaming but people still find the games.

there is a few things you can do my friend, First off, block the website completely this can be done in the internet settings - these people are not saposted to be playing tic tac toe on a Milatary Computer. Secondly, Tell them there will be conquences if they are cought, Thirdly Simply Delete- or Lock off the games. Go in my computer and right click the drive you want to lock, then set a pw and the drive cant be accesed unless a password is entered, then oyu wont be having any trouble with people using ur 15 cent a min comp.

What do you mean by block the website competely. Yes their are consequences. It's the called the UCMJ(UNIFORM CODE
    OF MILITARY JUSTICE!!). People who are caught will be prosictued to the fullest extent of the UCMJ!!! We already caught a couple people. The hacking stopped for a couple days but started again. People are just getting sneakier. Alot of people use the service because the wanna play the games. So deleting them or locking them off is not an option. I'll ask my friend about it but I don't think it will be that easy. I already know people here can hack the passwords. They've already been doing that.

It might be helpful if we knew what kind of systems are in use? There are alot of different methods that can be applied...

A point I'm a little confused on though...are the computers in the same room, or across the base? Is somebody watching them? Do they have to sign in to use a computer? Do they have to sign a piece of paper that states something like "by signing this you consent to have your computer activity monitored" ? It almost sounds like anyone can use the computers at any time...so how do you know who to charge?

If you don't want them playing games...delete the games. Create a little file called 'solitaire.exe" that instead pops up a warning message, and makes the computer beep like crazy..

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head...

EDIT: OOPS! Just reread your last posts...deleting the games is not an option. Then it sounds like your system of monitoring who is using the computer need some revision

The computers are all in the same building.

They put money on a card to access the internet and games.

It's stated when they register their cards and log in that they are subjuect to being monitored and the consequences of unlawful activities.

The computers are on a hubs.

When you reset a computer everthing gets erased off exept what the network admin has on their.

So when people try to download stuff or anything gets put on their it all gets erased.

Banned
    use your enter key then people can actually read your post

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I present to you MS ISA. Read the information about what it can do. It may suit your needs. If not, then come back and you can discuss furthur options.

xmad

I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to do all that. We just need to block access to a folder and make it so all the programs still run.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    So your simply trying to make it so they cannot access a folder? Set the user permissions on the folder so that they have to be logged in to get to it. Or access will be denied. I think I am missing something here. Perhaps a better explanatino of exactly what it is your trying to do is in order. I thought you wanted to prevent people from typing in a web address (http://www,google.com) into word and clicking on it? Now your saying that its games that your trying to prevent from opening? Are they typing in c:\games\game.exe into word instead? Are these games multiplayer games like counter-strike that access the internet?

A little bit better explnantion should yeild better answers.

xmad

You might want to check out some of the folder security products on the market. They do have some configuration which may help you out. Check out:

Hide Folder

Datalock

There are others out there, I just don't have time to look for them right now.

Cheers:
    DjM