Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use cookie on different pc?

It's a gas!

Use cookie on different pc?

Im trying to use a cookie that was stored on my home pc on my work pc, so that when i visit a certain site i am automatically signed in but, unfortunately, this doesnt seem to work.

Im wondering why this isnt working because i thought that cookies only held encrypted information such as the username and password, and nothing specific to the pc hardware.

Can anyone explain this for me?

i think that the cookies also hold the host name and some other data such as date and other crap, when you made thispost i when to the folder were the cookies are stored and i checked some of the cookies and i saw something that i didn't like in the cookie named bigdaddy@paspport[1].txt i oppened it and i saw my email address in plain text. Im going to make some more research and i get back to you

some wild guess

Try changing the name of the cookie first like this pc its bigdaddy i have another one named 8ball and several others ,when you change the cookies to the folder change the name also. and check in the file properties that the permision is not set to Read only or hidden. i would do it but i don't feel really good to get up from here. i don't know if this would work but im just guessing it might

Keep us update it

It's a gas!
    Well the cookie is set by www.ebay.co.uk
    I deleted all cookies and logged onto ebay which set a cookie by the name xxx@ebay.co[1].txt where xxx is my login name for windows.
    I then copied the cookie taken from my home pc to the cookies folder on my work pc and named it xxx@ebay.co[2].txt

So in theory i thought that i would be automatically signed in when ever i visited ebay, but apparently not!

i think its better if you jjust sign in at your work computer and let the cookies stored on the other instead of copyng the existing ones that are on your home computer.

If i don't try it later on today i would try it tommorow.

crap i just check the clock it's tomorrow already its 4 am

It's a gas!
    That would be the obvious thing to do but the sign in page for ebay is blocked on our network at work, and im not the net admin, nor do i wish to request that this is unblocked (non work related)

The simple answer here is that you can't do it then. There are ways to fudge this using a server and transferring cookies that way but other than that I don't think it can be done.

Could be wrong though.

There is a cookie import/export feature that is used by Internet Explorer. However, you did not say what internet borwser you are useing.

To access the feature open IE and click on File. Select the import/export feature and follow the wizard directions. Export the cookie to a floppy and use the feature on your work machine and import the cookie from the floppy.

I have used this feature to import/export my favorites but not cookies. The feature is supposed to import/export both.

Good luck

It's a gas!
    Thanks for the tip chief....never new about that feature.

Ill give it a go tomorrow

Kwiep
    the cookie also has to be added to some kind of index iirc... dunno where it's stored, but I would guess it's in the same folder as the cookies... I heard this somewhere, but I didn't verify it, but it sounds logical the system has to know that cookie exists before it even bothers about using it
    Double Dutch

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    There is a cookie import/export feature that is used by Internet Explorer.
    The only potential problem with this is that it is an all or nothing proposition. In other words, it will not allow you to select specific cookies. You get all of them. If this is ok, then you are in business.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden