how do you crack linux passwords
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you crack linux passwords

how do you crack linux passwords

ps. this is just on my computer and i am not going to hack any other because jail is not fun.

any ways i wanted to crack my password on a slackware machine, i already tried jack the ripper, and probably will try Crack. but are there other ways to crack linux passwords.
    btw i have physical access to the machine.

thanks

Elite Hacker
    I'm not sure but I bet there are. I'm sure that if you pop a copy of knoppix-std in there, it will have some tools to retrieve a password or something. Maybe someone else knows what the tools that can do this are, but I definitely recommend you download and burn knoppix-std(std=security tools distribution). I would say good luck, but if you are able to crack your password that means your machine is insecure, so I'm going to say bad luck.

i created 2 users with easy passwords one was user lfs with password of lfs the other was john with password spot, i was able to crack both in a day. the other took longer but they could have been cracked if i gave them more time

Another method of cracking linux passwords (lets say if you have a remote SSH account or something) is by using a packet sniffer.

Check out:
    1. Ettercap
    2. TCPDump
    3. Ethereal

Understanding concepts from these three applications will help alot, not only with password cracking, but with network and internet connectivity also. Have fun.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Originally posted here by qod
    i created 2 users with easy passwords one was user lfs with password of lfs the other was john with password spot, i was able to crack both in a day. the other took longer but they could have been cracked if i gave them more time
    John is currently the best password cracker for Unix. Crack used to be, but it doesn't support MD5 or Blowfish,
    only DES.
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

Yes as said ethereal is definetely a good tool to use for fun/research/learning etc..And john is definitely the most powerful cracker as spurious said, it supports more algorithms than crack..
    Also, what type of processor are you running ? That could be a reason why john doesn't chew through passwords as fast as you would like it to
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Hey I have a question about john. I have heard that a typical p4 can shoot through several thousand passwords a minute. I am fixing to get and athlon 64 laptop i would just like to see for shits if it would be any faster. Do any of you know anyway to optimize the code for 64 bit?
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

Simply compiling it from source should take care of most of that for you.

-- spurios
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

may beuse the crack jack the one use in *nix password it is a dos application maybe it will will amm not sure of it ..okay try google for other info...

as sorry it its cracker jack try to visit this link
    http://www.netrom.com/~cassidy/crack.htm some for some info..