SUSE Install Problem

Thread: SUSE Install Problem

Exclamation SUSE Install Problem

I recently re-formatted my hard-drive to install SuSe Pro 9.0 on my desktop, switching over from RH. (I tried to do an upgrade, but there were too many package problems...I didn't want to sit there for five hours trying to resolve each of them.)

I was using the two sided DVD to install it, and everything went fine for the first side of the disk. I had every package selected, and it said it was going to need to read from Side Two. However, when it got to that point, it skipped it entirely and moved onto the next step.

The same thing happened for one of my friends who was installing SuSe on his laptop. Should I be worried? The system seems quite stable and complete, I can't find anything missing. But I can't keep from worrying.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance,

~Zagadka
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

More than likely, Suse just needed one package from that side, and installed quickly enough for you not to notice.

If everything runs fine then I wouldn't worry about it.

Suse is a stable operating system, and if you don't have problems with it right now, then you probably won't for a long time till you mess something up with it. lol
    =

Normally I'd agree with you about it just needing something from the other side real quick and I didn't notice. The thing is...it was never flipped over. It never asked to be. But it still said that it needed to be in the beginning.

I have no intention of doing anything drastic, and I don't see anything coming down the line, but i also wanted to ask and make sure that no one knew I needed to do anything else, any single package or so that was missed. (If it'd happened to them.)
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

Well unless you choose to install all available packages, then sometimes it doesn't need the other side. That might be what happened, but it just needed it to do some last minute configuring. lol

I wouldn't worry about it. It should be fine.
    =

I had every package selected, and it said it was going to need to read from Side Two.
    It was set up to install every available package. ::Le sigh:: I dunno. Unless it starts giving me errors, I'm not going to worry. I just wanted to check in with you guys, make sure. Never used SuSe before.

Edit: Quote didn't work right the first time.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

Relax. More than likely, the packages you wanted were all on the first side of the DVD. It says it needs the other side regaurdless because you continue the installation after packages are installed.

The rest of the install may be on that side and it was prolly running off of that side after you flipped it over. Also, RTFM. This may be in there as something it does during install for a reason.

When I get 9 I'll check it out.

Thanks for the input.

Also...I'll say this one more time.
    The thing is...it was never flipped over.
    I never flipped the disk over. I never needed to.

As always, I borrowed and checked the manual and documentation before posting anything here, as well as checking with some of the on-campus Linux geeks.

Appreciate the help, Gore.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

Developer Extraordinar
    Perhaps the files on the second side were only the SRPM's (sources I believe) And you have to select them incivudually, if I remember correctly from the last time I used YaST2, but if everything runs fine, and you don't have any problems, I would say everything is okay. And if it did miss a package, you can alway compile it or whatever later. Have fun with SuSE.

MB
    Come to UnError.com

Seems to be my best option right now. ::Grins and curls up with a nice, toasty Linux powered box:::
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

Originally posted here by SonofGalen
    Seems to be my best option right now. ::Grins and curls up with a nice, toasty Linux powered box:::
    Toasty? You using an AMD?

And yes, the other side may very well be sources, which you do have to select yourself. So don't worry. If it needs something it didn't get during install it will tell you when you try to use it, and then you can install it if needed.