Buy a Dell and get no Spyware Support?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy a Dell and get no Spyware Support?

Buy a Dell and get no Spyware Support?

http://216.180.233.153/~swidotcom/2.html or http://www.spywareinfo.com/

Saw this on a link from Slashdot.

They are basically saying that Dell techs cannot help you uninstall Spyware. Am I becoming paranoid like Nihil, or does this sound like Dell is adding spyware (or programs with Spyware) in their base systems with XP and thus will not support taking out the spyware. Makes me not want to get a Dell with an OS preinstalled on it.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I was just reading about this.

I just got a new dell yesterday, so I'll check it when I get to work tomorrow.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Dude...don't buy Dell...

Enough said I think...

Building PC's are more fun than buying them, cheaper too!

Building PC's are more fun than buying them, cheaper too!
    Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of building my own PC, but I wonder if this will cause problems in the future. Run Spybot or Adaware and components in your OS or installed programs dont work.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I have 250 dell machines here and 250 in another office. I am a big fan of there machines and have never had any cause for complaint.

Unless you have to call tech support the machines are just fine.

Calling tech support at dell can be fun as you can rest assured that your 5 year old or your cat have more knowledge of your computer than the monkeys on the other end of the phone answering calls.

I called at one point to report a faulty PSU and that the power was completely dead. I couldn't believe it when the guy insisted he had a boot disk which would rectify the problem.

Originally posted here by mark_boyle2002
    I have 250 dell machines here and 250 in another office. I am a big fan of there machines and have never had any cause for complaint.

Calling tech support at dell can be fun as you can rest assured that your 5 year old or your cat have more knowledge of your computer than the monkeys on the other end of the phone answering calls.

I called at one point to report a faulty PSU and that the power was completely dead. I couldn't believe it when the guy insisted he had a boot disk which would rectify the problem.
    I agree. I have quite a few Dells and I have no complaints. Unless... you have to call tech support. Those people are morons. You can completely troubleshoot out a problem and they'll want you to do it again. I just sit there on the other like. "yep, that didn't work, no didn't work, no didn't work, etc" until they finally send me the part that I need. A real pain in the ass.

As far as building them... I have no problem doing that for my home machines... but tell me.
    Who has the time to build hundreds of PCs? That is a job all in itself...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by mark_boyle2002

I have to completely agree with this. We have so many Dell's I can't even begin to count them all (in fact, the computer before the one I have now I bought from Dell because it was so much cheaper than trying to buy the components myself (which wasn't the case this time around) ).
    The only Dell I have ever had problems with was my latitude laptop...The display burnt out and Dell was suprisingly flexible about getting someone in to fix it quickly under warranty...then the hdd died...and that was a *(#)&%(&%*(#(($&(*&...after about three weeks of going back and forth with tech support people with less IQ than my baby niece...I finally asked to speak to a manager and basically implied that they could either fix the disk or I would have a conversation with our bosses about whether Dell is a good solution for us or not (we buy at least a hundred a year)...new hdd showed up next day

Now one thing I have always HATED about Dell is Driver support...having to install their crap program just to find the right driver (assuming you use their CDROM, which you kind of have to if you just rebuilt your PC and don't remember which network card you have). This to me would be the most likely place they would place spyware; however, I suspect that their reasoning may be based on how invasive the software has become...I recently had to try to fix a coworkers home laptop...it was so laden with spyware that the TCP/IP stack basically had become irrepairably corrupt (a repair/reinstall of XP didn't even fix it), netstat -an would return no sockets...nothing could create a socket...nasty nasty nasty...Essentially had to format the system and tell them to start over...(I nicely installed spybot and ad-aware for them and chastised them about all the stuff on their laptop)...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    ...does this sound like Dell is adding spyware (or programs with Spyware) in their base systems with XP and thus will not support taking out the spyware.
    Not really. It'd be like asking Dell to support your install of Photoshop. If it's not default installed on their images, why would they provide support for it?

This article has been slashdotted. I'd like to clarify that the posting at slashdot is misleading, suggesting that Dell itself is installing spyware. That is not the case at all and please don't be confused into believing that. Dell is absolutely NOT bundling spyware on their PCs.
    This was updated on one of the articles listed above (the first link). It makes sense that they do not provide support for things they haven't got installed on the machines. They are a manufacturer of pre-fab PCs, not the "Answer Lady". If they start answering questions on one thing that their techies aren't probably fully trained to answer, they'll be expected to answer on other things.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Dell.....................you get what you deserve...

They are lame assed these days IMO. The last one I bought had the BIOS so castrated the thing is a heap of garbage. I can understand Dell wanting to cut the cost of customer support, but this should not be at the expense of customer satisfaction. Hell, they charged top dollar for that box, it was definately not a child's Christmas present! Like $3000

I would never buy one again or recommend them to others...they seem to be on the same road as Gateway?

They are also running scared of Gator and such who have been legally attacking people who describe their products as "spyware" What Dell are really saying is that "if you remove spyware and still use the app that it was attached to then you are violating the EULA, and we don't want to be involved with that....and we really don't give a damn about the 13,000 other scumwares that are out there without a EULA"

Dell has lost its balls...............no balls no bucks?.............vote with your wallets folks.

I do not think that Dell are shipping spyware...... I suggest that the answer lies closer to the bottom of the barrel

Cheers...................... Paranoid?........................moi?