Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless

Wireless

Hello everyone,

I have a question about my home wireless network. I currently use a netgear cable router to a microsoft usb adapter for my notebook. Everything has been pretty good till recently the signal as greatly reduced and i dont get the strength or the distance i used to. I called microsoft and they said it was noise coming from another wireless network. Do they make a program that will show you if there are wireless networks around and the signal strength ???
    There is only 10 types of people who understand binary those who do and those who don\'t.

Well first off all i would get rid of thet usb wifi..i had nuthin but bad luck with those..if it got wire check around the conectors fore cracks...could be it try google fore wifi ore wardriving.

MicroBill

isnt "wardriving" illegal. and thks for the advice but i need the usb cuz i use it for more than one and its easier to change in between. Do you know the name of the software.
    There is only 10 types of people who understand binary those who do and those who don\'t.

Keep in mind that anything that is electrical can interfere with your wireless signals, especially cordless phones and televisions. See if you can't keep it away from other appliances or turn things off and see if your signal strength improves...

And I concur, dump the USB...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Get NetStumbler: http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/NetStumbler for either checking on what wireless activity is in your area or for wardriving. Works great and is easy to use.
    Although nebulus200 probably has the correct answer to your problem.
    Keep in mind that anything that is electrical can interfere with your wireless signals, especially cordless phones and televisions. See if you can't keep it away from other appliances or turn things off and see if your signal strength improves...
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Elite Hacker
    You may want to check this out: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/961181
    Supposedly 802.11a doesn't have near the interference of 802.11b because it operates on a frequency that not many things use. It also has greater transfer rates. It seems like one of the only drawbacks is range. But that is solve by adding access points as needed. You may want to consider this if you are getting a lot of interference. If someone disagrees please post so I don't make this person make a mistake in changing(as if anyone listens to me anyways).

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well, the interferance could be caused by many things. Not just another wireless network. (which should't matter anyway, cause it bases all requests on the mac addresss anyway and would cooincide with rather than interfere any other networks.) If your using Windows XP, pull up your wifi network card settings and you should see a wireless tab, in there you should be able to see different networks.

You could also look up LinkFerret, which has a wireless protocol analyzer. You should be able to detect other networks, their transmitted ssid, (if there), and other goodies with it.

xmad

havent got a microwave cooker have u? or does this problem occur all the time? not just when theres a microwave on.

just a thought

i2c

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I have never had any problems with my USB 802.11 devices. They actually have better distance then my pcmcia cards because they have an antenna.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Srry no microwave ovens or faulty eletric, but i think is a defective usb device maybe????
    Thxs for all the good advice though.