Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: zonealarm sucks

zonealarm sucks

Ok have just tried the free version of zonealarm and have never had as many problems with a piece of software before!!

first of all as soon as instalation finished - it crashed computer
    then i rebooted - but because was set to run on start-up computer crashed as soon as loaded

went in under safemode - uninstalled zonealarm and rebooted again
    this time computer booted fine so went to go online - adsl established computer but every time i tried to use a browser etc couldn't get through

though maybe drivers for modem got buggered uninstalled & reinstalled them - nope no dice

it appears even tho i had uninstalled zonealarm it was still blocking all ports (as hadn't been configured before crashed)
    so had to reinstall zonealarm
    then go in under safe-mode so i could run it without it freezing computer
    turned off all protection - uninstalled zonealarm - rebooted and now running fine

such a ****ing handling

anyone else had problems with it??

/me goes back to outpost

v_Ln

I had the same problem when I tried it a year or so ago. Installed it, crashed all the time, unintalled it, still crashed all the time. A component of it stays even after you uninstall it, and that is what causes continuing problems after you think it's gone, or so I've read. I forget the name of the file off hand. Apparently there was a version that really did not get along with XP. I've heard that the newest version doesn't conflict anymore, but I'm also into Outpost now.
    My Goodness, My Guinness

Yep, same problems...when it worked, it worked great...then one day..POOF! I know on one xp system I was using, ZA stopped playing nice after some critical update or other...

On the second xp box, one day it just started fuxoring up...never did figure out why (not that I spent alot of time on it)..

I have a WinMe box that it's been working on just fine. I never read anywhere that some versions don't get along with XP, but that's been my observations. I'm assuming since this is a new thread that you tried installing a recent version?

Was XP's firewall also on by any chance?

I run XP home and had the free version of zone alarm running for over 6 months and never had a bit of problems with it. Have that new CA EzArmor now, and it looks like a early version of Zone Alarm Pro, and it appears to be working fine.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

well am running 98se - so is not an XP prob
    but i thik i won't be installing that firewall ever again
    outpost does everything zonealarm can do and more - and i have never had a problem with it - tried the pro trial and worked like a dream - am using the free version atm...not quite as good but still easy to use and no probs - think am going to buy pro tho

v_Ln

i had problems too, on windows 98 SE, so i switched to Tiny Personal Firewall, and worked fine. i like it better than ZoneAlarm. it's small, fast, and secure. try it out vanhallen, i'm not sure if it's still available, if not pm me and i mail u the exe file. see u around!
    consoleknight.

I have never had any problem with ZA on XP or 2K. I think it works very well and does a good job.

-Cheers-

I'm not using ZA at the moment and I must admit I never used the free version on my boxes but I never had a problem with ZAPro on XP... the g/f has been running the free version on win98SE for the last 6-7months and she's not had a problem.

Maybe Mars was in trine with Saturn and conjuncting with Pluto when you installed it - it's all witchcraft anyway... oh... hang on I know what happend val... you remember that period of hightened solar activity we had recently....

Z

PS seriously... some of my friends use ZA too and I don't think they have had any problems... but then again I've never been able to get ICS working on any windows computer and I'm told it does work - I guess some software just doesn't work on a particular system for some very weird reason. If it ain't doing its job then use something that you trust more....
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Always had problems with a certain ZoneAlarm version (don't recall the correct one) and Win2K service pack 1, because of those problems I switched to sygate. Don't know about recent service packs or ZoneAlarm patches.

Ummm i use zonealarm and never had a problem once i got it configured properly. I was wondering why u felt like you needed to say the f word in you question, kinda pointless...
    There is only 10 types of people who understand binary those who do and those who don\'t.