dropped tcp connection...

Thread: dropped tcp connection...

dropped tcp connection...

g'day. I understand that if the tcp connection gets dropped by my netgear router for suspicious tcp data or for smurfs etc that my internet connection will dropout--is this right? If so, what brings it back up?

On similar point, if I keep getting suspicious data from a single source ip(or supposedly so) then what can I do about it?

cheers
    \"\'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?\"

Elite Hacker

Re: dropped tcp connection...

Originally posted here by elmurado
    g'day. I understand that if the tcp connection gets dropped by my netgear router for suspicious tcp data or for smurfs etc that my internet connection will dropout--is this right? If so, what brings it back up?

On similar point, if I keep getting suspicious data from a single source ip(or supposedly so) then what can I do about it?

cheers
    I think when it drops the connection, it doesn't drop your connection, it just does away with with the connection the sender of the suspicious tcp data was trying to make. If you keep getting that stuff from the same IP you should just contact their ISP. Do a whois on the IP and that should bring up an abuse contact email address for the ISP. Just send some logs and a message about how this is a recurring thing, yada yada yada. Just curious, what types of requests are these dropped packets, can you post the log info?

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: dropped tcp connection...

Originally posted here by elmurado

cheers
    No your internet connection will not dropout. The router will simply block the suspicious packets and drop the connection that exists between your computer and the one sending the suspicious data. Any other connections in progress will remain unaffected.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Thanks guys--that's reassuring to know. The log only says suspicious tcp data and then gives the port number that it was trying to access h3r3tic, not sure if I can get it to give any more specific data on the type of request--will check it out and do the whois too--I seem to remember that there are different whois for different countries?
    \"\'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?\"