limit bandwith on lan

Thread: limit bandwith on lan

Question limit bandwith on lan

hi peeps.

this is the scenario:
    my server has winxp pro and am connected on dsl. i have 5 other pc's connected into me using ics for sharing internet. my problem is some of those users are hogging the bandwidth. can i control it from my server?

thanks.

You can look at something like this;

http://bandwidthcontroller.com/ .... it's not free, but shouldn't break the bank either, could be what you are looking for.

It has a 30 day trial download so you can try before you buy.

http://polip.sourceforge.net/

Here is a Bandwith Controller I found on Fresmeat. I havn't tried it, but if you have a spare box you can trow linux on this should do the trick.

DeafLamb

For theory:
    - IP Quality of Service mechanisms (QoS) is a networking technique that would achieve excatly what you want.

- Your CPE router (a XP PC actually) could "tag" internal incoming traffic depending on the application or the source.
    On the DSL interface, you can set a PHB (per hop behaviour) process using for instance a Classed-based Weight Fair Queuing (CBWFQ)in order to drop frames with a low level of priority when congestion.

The big advantage compare to the Bandwidth Controller proposed above, is that if noboby is using the ressource to the WEB one terminal can take the whole bandwidth. When congestion occurs, the QoS mechanism will regulate flows by priority.
    e.g. Let's say you own one of the five PC behind the CPE. And you want to get at least and at any time 50% of the DSL access. You can define 2 class of services: One dedicated to you, and one for the 4 remaining PCs. As a result you would get 50% of the bandwidth at any time and if none of the others is using bandwidth you got 100%. The 4 remaining are sharing as yuou do today a minimum of 50% of bandwidth.

I'm using that technique and its really cool! You'll need some system enginnerring to setup a customized your network, but it is an interesting topic and spending time on it is definitly not a waste of time.

To get some info google for: DiffServ, QoS, CBWFQ, CAR, DSCP, ...

You can set up such configuration on Linux using Netfilter (mangle for tagging) and TC for CBWFQ...
    You may have some availble tools for XP but I'm not sure
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Sounds like there is not cheap way for a small office (or home) like his to get this done. My own solution was expensive. Radware and Surfcontrol.

I HOPE you are using a firewall because you didn't mention it. Your firewall may allow some tweaking on bandwidth allocation. If no firewall please consider it and get one with it built in and think about nixing ICS.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

yes i do have firewall. i just use the built-in firewall from xp. also this is enabled.

Networker: does XP allow you to use QoS?

I know OpenBSD using PF supports QoS as well as VPN

you could put obsd on a crappy box and have it act as the router/firewall.
    t.e.k.n.o.

yes xp allows QoS. now, i have 2 network cards, one is connected to my dsl modem while the other is connected to the hub. which of the 2 cards will i enable the QoS?

i will research on how to use QoS. do you have any pointer guys?

thanks so far for the help.

help me out on this guys. i need greater control of bandwidths around here.