Thread: IP nuke?

Question IP nuke?

What is an IP nuker and how does it work?...should i be worried about it?....because i know some ppl that say they have them and say they will use them . for one .. i dont think they will...but i also dont know how they work..so i have no defence from it...i dont think...what should i do..

Regards
    David

If you had typed what ever you want to find into google you would of had your answer quicker than it took you to type your message. The mebers here don`t mind helping people but do get annoyed when questions that you could quite simply of found for your self by using the forum search or google are asked.

well exuse me...ppl can help awnser my questions a lot better than google can

Its just if you had typed in "IP nuker" into google you would of found out straight away. Just so you know a IP nuker is just Denial of Service program. Idiot Script kiddies use them to try and crash or consume all the resources on a computer. Half of them don`t work these days any way.

thaxk you...so i shouldnt be worried???

no i wouldn`t be, as long as your systems up to date and your running a firewall. The only thing that might be possible is if he was on DSL and you on a modem he may be able to consume all your bandwidth with the right program but if that happens just disconnect and reconnect so you`ll be under a new IP address.

As long as you have a firewall, antivirus, and use some common sense online, you are pretty safe from script kiddies.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

You mentioned in another thread that you run an Unreal Tournament server.

I'd be more worried about a DoS using the UT server against someone else rather than someone using an IP Nuker.

Check out http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/5148/info/ for more info. They have some possible solutions/workarounds too.

Do you have a firewall/IDS on your system? If you have some extra cash... try out Norton Internet Security. It is a firewall/IDS/antivirus solution all in one. It can help detect and block these types of attacks.

Of course, there are free solutions, but they aren't that easy for a newbie to setup. If you have more experience, you can use an opensource solution... such as Snort and ip tables.

Most importantly... keep your system, av, fw, ids and ALL other programs that you use up to date and patched.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

k..will do..thnx