Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: Wargames: Part 1

AO Part Timer
    Funny you say that. My very first network was a token. Andrew Mau. I set it up just to play teams of Heroes of might and Magic about 7 years ago. I actually learned networking, just to play turn based rpgs. That is the kind of stuff that motivates students.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

That kind of teaching should be implemented in every engineering/telecom/comp sci degrees. I am about to finish my engineering degree and a course like that would have been a blast not to mention extremely useful. It is sad that many programs are focused on teaching just theory and not practical stuff like that, its good to have a solid theoretical base, but practice is a lot more important and fun.
    Ms Mittens: Congratulations!! It's a great idea.

J

love this tutorial. Will try it out on my computer at home.

Thumbs up

hi, im a newbie but can i just say wow, what an informative speech and i have learnt alot from it. Sounds like fun Teach

First off thank you for taking time to write this tut. Secondly, finally someone/some group makes an effort to establish a degree for people who want just the IT half and not the programming. I dont like programming like yourself, but my computer science degree requires it. In anycase, I will have to speak with my councelor and figure out if I can participate in "learning abroad", if that is offered. Also, what is the pricing for the courses ($ per credit hour). Thanks. Really makes me want to move to Canada.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I am in a state of shock !! a professor, no less that understands the first rule of teaching, that the student is SUPPOSED to improve on their tutor, otherwise there is no progress.
    And as for a class that puts gaming as homework !!!!! Sign me up.

I have just been finished up at work, and will start the new year at an IT centre learning the first steps on the ladder of the IT professional ? and looking at the sylabus, there has to be room for this type of exercise, it covers in one go ALL the essentials that are required of the Sys Admin. And it sounds so cool that as has been previously mentioned, you would attend the class wanting to learn, which HAS to be an improvement over most teaching methods that I have experienced ?

And as a last note to MsM, is it allowed to copy to my PC the details, so that I could rope in some 'Friends' to attack?

As an absolutley final note, does MsM intend to possibly make this exercise into a commercial effort ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Mittens,

Can I come and play the game?

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    foxyloxley asked:
    And as a last note to MsM, is it allowed to copy to my PC the details, so that I could rope in some 'Friends' to attack?

As an absolutley final note, does MsM intend to possibly make this exercise into a commercial effort ?
    How do you mean "rope some friends"? I don't encourage illegal activities so if you intend on attacking your friends, I don't recommend it. Perhaps I don't quite understand your intention.

As for commercially, well, technically the school is a commercial venture so IMHO that's as far as I will go commercially.

TH13:

You'd always be welcomed.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Sorry MsM
    rope in some friends, just means ( to me )get some like minded people to make up a LAN and party on down with your rules as the guide. most LAN party's are for gaming purposes, this could just take off ??
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Oh sure... it takes planning tho'. And space.

Each lab I have has about 35 seats so we can get quite a bit of fun activity (larger the group, the more fun it can be).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage