U.N.ternet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.N.ternet?

U.N.ternet?

Today on fox news there was a story reporting that the U.N. wants "control of the internet" to be placed in their hands instead of the US's, or something along that line. I personally think that the internet is fine where it is right now; that there isn't any need for some foreign bureaucrats to mess things up. Of course, this is coming from an American, one of the dictators of the web If anyone feels like weighing in, please do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Dec4.html

Nice article. I think ICANN has done a decent job in regulating domains on the net. (US based opinion) They got Verisign to take down the sitefinder service at least.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Think the web is one place i can feel much more secure than in the world with dictators

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod
    Nice article. I think ICANN has done a decent job in regulating domains on the net. (US based opinion) They got Verisign to take down the sitefinder service at least.
    Thanks. And I agree, ICANN has done their job quite well over the years. Anyone from anywhere can put content on the web, all ICANN does is let people get there. That system seems to have been working; when I type antionline.com in my browser, I usually end up here Why anyone would want to screw that up is beyond me.

ICANN is a rather ugly mess, d oa search on theregister for recent ICANN stories they where (are) falling apart.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

The internet appears to be working decently. Besides, handing it over to the UN won't necessarily make it better and has a good chance of doing the reverse.

U.N. It's funny - you invent something and an expensive beaurocracy wants it.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

No one controls the internet though.

I mean the interenet is basically a bunch of computers hooked up. No one has total control over it. How would it be possible to have the U.N control it?
    =

well in the movie the core that kid from road trip controls the internet,....yeah, bad movie.
    Don\'t be mad at me that I don\'t know anything, thats why I am here. Not an image or image does not exist!