Newbie Security Forum Questions.

Thread: Newbie Security Forum Questions.

Newbie Security Forum Questions.

Well, first i would like to say that i did't know where to put this thread so let the moderators choose.
    I was browsing the newbie security forum and i was realized that most of the cases are about people who want to hack and i asked myself: "Did i go to other site. No.. Then?? People started asking again how to hack to a site where we are here to prevent hacking to our system." Some years ago if sb "caught" a thread like that he/she was posting that this is a site that want to prevent that and don't learn you that. But if you want to learn sth to prevent happening to your system then you have to ask certain questions and don't say: "How can i hack?"
    Shouldn't the moderator close this kind of threads?
    Thanks

Banned
    I agree because those kinda threads suck. This is a security site not a "Teach me how to hack" site. If you wan't to learn how to hack go to a haxor site.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    GbinaryR, I don't think I quite understand your thought stream. If you mean, why don't we close the threads where people ask "How do I hack hotmail?", that's because members can do that with enough APs. That way the community decides what's acceptable and what isn't. I like that ability for the community to go with the larger flow of things.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Sometimes those threads suck, I agree. I think heretic or someone else pointd out awhile back that it was also an opportunity to provide someone that may not know bettter some guidance. I think also it was asked to go easier on the newbies (I don't remember who requested that, Tony_bradley maybe) I happen to agree.

The simple fact is, if you Google for hacking or cracking, this site comes up. Most people don't read the first page, so they assume this is a "how to hack" site...and essentially it is. You absolutely have to know something about breaking in to learn how to keep others out. It's all a matter of perspective.

All that needs to be done is to point out that this is a security site, but if they hang out and learn about security, they will learn hacking also. Anybody can break into a system, given enough knowledge and time. I would argue that it is a much greater challenge to keep up with exploits, and the satisfaction gained from that endeavor is more worthwhile.

IMHO, threads and posts that say "this sucks" or "that sucks" are more worthless, because they are based on an opinion, and rarely include any facts to back up that opinion.

Maybe it's just me.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    /Offtopic: GbinaryR has someone swept your mind... I'm very surprised, nice !
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...011#post226283
    We will see how this evolves ...

/ontopic: MsMittens has a very interesting comment, should the ap system handle these things or a human moderator? It seems that since the ap system isn't anonymous anymore it's effectiveness has dropped a little? Just a thought.

It seems that since the ap system isn't anonymous anymore it's effectiveness has dropped a little?
    I don't agree with this. Many of the types that post questions like "How do I hack hotmail" are what I call one hit wonders. If they can't get a concise, easy click answer in a post or two, they are gone anyways. It's rare that they want to stick around. So knowing who gave them APs won't matter.

The only people that the APs matter on are those that have been around and that you somewhat know.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Originally posted here by VictorKaum
    /Offtopic: GbinaryR has someone swept your mind... I'm very surprised, nice !
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...011#post226283
    We will see how this evolves ...

/ontopic: MsMittens has a very interesting comment, should the ap system handle these things or a human moderator? It seems that since the ap system isn't anonymous anymore it's effectiveness has dropped a little? Just a thought.
    VictorKaum i have already admited that i have done many mistakes on AO since now and i'm bit excused because i was too young and as some of you in the start i want to bla bla bla. Like script kiddies do. But i have learnt from my mistakes and i'm ready to be an honorable member of AO

Originally posted here by MsMittens

I don't agree with this. Many of the types that post questions like "How do I hack hotmail" are what I call one hit wonders. If they can't get a concise, easy click answer in a post or two, they are gone anyways. It's rare that they want to stick around. So knowing who gave them APs won't matter.

The only people that the APs matter on are those that have been around and that you somewhat know.
    Now with the non-anonymous people exchange pos and neg points sometimes. But even before some guys like me at the end of the AP'text we were putting ~and our name. So it the same thing but now people can see whose the bad guy that send red AP ;P

So it the same thing but now people can see whose the bad guy that send red AP
    Thing is, I wouldn't associate someone as being a "bad guy" because they gave me reds. I'd be asking myself "What is it that I did wrong and how can I fix it?". It's like getting a bad mark from a teacher. They don't do it because they are being the bad guy. They do it so you know what you did wrong and so you can figure out how to fix it (usually by asking).