Thread: Roll Call

Roll Call

I think we should Delete "Roll Call". Because the only people that read the "Roll Calls" are the newbies that are posting them so it is not really "introducing youreself to the comunity" cuz nobody reads it accept newbies. Whew I gotta give my fingers a rest now.

Banned
    I read the roll calls if the title is decieveing and i know other members do to. And you should be able to introduce yourself to the community and if someome want to read it he should be able to. The roll call doesn't stand in the way of anybody.

They should Delete the Roll Call and put it under GCC. Or move it to somewhere where it will get more exposure. Where more people could see the post's.

well, I happen to like it where it is.. if you surf AO from the active topics list they show up in cronological order..

However, I've always wondered why JP made it so that a normal member can't reply.
    I fail to see his logic in that. I know that I've pm'd a bunch of new folks who have asked questions in their roll call post and it would be nice if we could reply instead of sending a pm.

Banned
    What ever you do dont put Roll Call in GCC.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I like Roll Call and actually read when posts are put in there. It's not just newbies that post there.

As for no reply, that's to avoid conversations going on in an area where members can highlight themselves. I personally think it's a good idea to leave it as is.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    However, I've always wondered why JP made it so that a normal member can't reply
    also many members would just post "Welcome to AO" or something like that to increase their post count, i think it's good that we can't reply, and if they have a question, they have a right forum waiting for it.

ahhh.. yes I see your points MsMittens and Memory..

but Memory.. post counts in roll call "could" be turned off.. likewise with GCC and cosmos..

how about this then ? Now I know it's mentioned in places that folks can't respond to roll call but perhaps there could be a message displayed stating this fact when someone goes to post one.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You mean like getting an email for PMs (as is done now) or receiving emails for responses (as is done now)?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

i like the way Roll Call is atm but think it needs one lil addition - i know it does state (somewhere!? can't for life me remember now) thatb members cannot reply to posts in RollCall but newbies (some of them) do not seem to have grasped this fact - several times i have read questions in there by people who have just started out - most of the time (if i have enough time to do so) i PM them either with the answer if i know it - but also to let them know why they have not recieved any replies and direct the to the correct forum....

but what about something like a notice when someone posts a thread in RollCall - a pop-up kinda thing telling them that other members will not be able to reply in this area and if they have a question it should be posted in the relevant forum (could also add a link to the FAQ etc in there as well )

now i know popups can be annoying but when most people will only ever post once in RollCall it shouldn't be that much of an annoyance

v_Ln