Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spyware..

my com is window xp..
    256ram...
    1.8ghz..
    40gb
    what else u want to know?
    i already have Spybot S&D but it does not find out the files 4mi..

Antionline Herpetologist
    One word: Update Spybot. (OK, two words).
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

how to update?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Start spybot and click the check for updates button. Then click the download updates button after it tells you what updates exist.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)

Ok now I will ask.. can you get a screen shot of one of these pop-ups..please .. oh as a JPG and pop it in with your next reply..
    You know If road rules were like virii and parasite software, we would have to re-apply for our licences every 2nd day..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

samueltoon -
    SpyBot S&D should remove the TinyBar spyware with no problem. When I scan, I've noticed "TinyBar" in the Status Bar, as SpyBot checks against its database. Are you running verison 1.2? Do you have SpyBot set to run all available checks? There are also a couple of settings to block all known bad products and block bad browser downloads - in other words, block known bad web sites. You should check your setting options as well, to ensure you are getting the most out of the program. But, as noted earlier, you really need to make sure you update the reference files. You CAN have the program do this automatically - under Settings.

Good luck. V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

by the way
    what is a hosts file...?
    i accidentally delete my hosts file..
    without the hosts file will it affect my computer?

Antionline Herpetologist
    A host file is a file that computers use to find domain names. For example, the line
    63.146.109.212 antionline.com
    will tell your computer that 63.146.109.212 is antionline.com. That way, when you type antionline.com, it won't have to check a DNS server, it'll just go straight to the IP in the hosts file.
    It *shouldn't* affect your computer in any way. The reason for this is that windows doesn't really (AFAIK) need a hosts file. However, just try typing "ping localhost" without the quotes in a DOS prompt or a run dialog. If it pings fine it should look something like this:
    Pinging somename [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    If not, it should looks something like this:
    Pinging somename [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
    If it fails, look for a file called hosts.bak in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and rename this file to hosts. If you can't find the file, follow these instructions:

Create a new file called hosts in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc using notepad.
    Type the line:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    in it and save.
    Reboot and you're fine.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi