help installing wireless/cable modem on linux

Thread: help installing wireless/cable modem on linux

help installing wireless/cable modem on linux

ive finaly got slackware runing, but to connect to the internet i needa install my wirless LAN thing. im totaly new to linux, i have the cd to install it but when i go to it it dosent rune the setup program some coding and stuff just comes up in another window. will the cd only work for windows or something? if so any ideas how i can install this? thanks for your time.
    ammon

Elite Hacker
    Some things come with drivers for linux. If your modem or whatever it is does, then there should be a folder on the disk called linux or unix or something like that. Sounds like you were running the windows setup thing, which will not work. I know my network card driver disk had a folder for linux with the linux drivers in it. If there are no linux drivers, take a look at the card/modem or whatever it is and get any identifying info such as name or part number and just type into google. Also try adding driver to the end. Chances are you will come up with what you need. Good luck.

thanks ill try that
    ammon

What is your wireless LAN thing and what are you running it on ????

If its an Access Point you should be able to use a simple web interface with any browser to connect and configure it via an ethernet connection. Consult your owners manual and see what the default IP is for it.

If you are using a laptop with a pcmia card things might be a little trickier or impossible if the card is not supported.

I run Slackware via wireless (access point client) here but need a bit more information before I can even suggest anything.

I suggest the easy way.... Get a cable and forget wireless. I give you credit for trying wireless for i assume a laptop but from the sounds of it this might be getting ahead of yourself too much. Whatever the case have fun with it <snicker>
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

i do have cable, i got an orion 3000 box thing that sends stuff to the LANs
    ammon