Thread: Blue Screen of death

Blue Screen of death

I read somewhere that if you type \con\con in the run window you will get the blue screen of death. Why does this appear? Please tellme
    Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire

Antionline Herpetologist
    In windows 9x (i.e. Windows 95/98/Me), there is a vulnerability that causes windows to hang if you type certain words like \con\con , \aux and some others. The reason for this is that these words are restricted words in Windows, i.e. they cannot be used as folder or file names. Typing \con\con or \aux confuses Windows 9x causing it to hang. Also, there is a well documented remote Denial of Service using this vulnerability. Solution: Dump Windows 9x and get Windows 2000 or XP.
    Note :
    \con\con == Console Device (Keyboard/Monitor)
    \aux == COM1 (If I'm not mistaken)

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I hadn't actually heard of that.. but google shows a few things..
    just put in "\con\con bsod" no quotes..

seems to me to be an old exploit .. if you can call it an exploit..

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive.../msg00134.html
    and the followup post
    http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive.../msg00159.html

http://www.computerpranks.com/storie...cfm?ItemID=839

I tried a few variations just now and it was a no go..

edit : cgkanchi.. I'm running w98se.. btw..

Antionline Herpetologist
    jenjen: Have you updated windows? If so, it was one of the first exploits to be patched. However, if not, it should work. Try typing something like c:\con\con in an explorer window.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Re: Blue Screen of death

Originally posted here by saintakaagni
    I read somewhere that if you type \con\con in the run window you will get the blue screen of death. Why does this appear? Please tellme
    Why will people create stupid fuking threads like this?(pls dont answer) No offense rat but this is a retarded question. But I will give you a link that can give you the "Blue Gay Screen of Death" which I have never encountered http://www.computerpranks.com/ This neggative goes out to dumbasses like you. Who create worthless threads that end up on the front page . You know I was having a good weekend till I saw this. AND NOW YOU GOT ME PISSES AND YOU HAVE RUINED MY BUZZ .
    thats my 2 cents. You are officaly know as a buzz killer!!!

!imitationRust;

An official "Buzz killer", eh? If this was all it took to disrupt your oh-so-perfect weekened, I suggest you increase your daily dosage of prozac.

saintakaagni posted a perfectly legitimate question, in the right spot (assuming he believed it was an 'exploit' that could be used against him that he hadn't heard about), and with better spelling and grammar than your average AOL user. Newbies like him do not need to be shot down by ignorant dickheads like yourself, who believe that because they know something, so should everyone else.

Oh, you spelt 'fuking' wrong by the way. It is '****ing'. Ie; "!mitationRust is a ****ing little bitch. I hope he ****ing dies". That one mistake ruined my weekend - you broke my heart.

cgkanchi.. yes, I'm all updated.. what I meant was I tried to see if I'd get a bsod but I didn't.

hehe.. I didn't try too hard.. didn't feel like losing my connection and 20+ open windows/apps.

!mitationRust.. lighten up.. have a beer.. or whatever..
    I learned something from this post can you tell me that you knew all about this honestly ?

The point isn't that he may have knew it all already.. the point is what he said was generally not nice... Your new, its right beneath your name! (Correction: Our names ) Perhaps being nice is not something that he is interested in... but I find that it makes life more enjoyable... My advice: Don't worry about him.. he was probably having a bad day... Anyways, I hope your other posts attract better people next time

damn dude some people are so damn lame, grow some balls and post some thing constructive, this is supposed to be a constructive place to help people, he asked a relavent question and you just have to go and post something like "you ruin my day by posting something like this" god how would you feel if someone replyed to your post like that, to be honest you just killed my buzz by posting that, grow up and then come back to AO, people like that make me want to puke, grow some god damn balls for the love of god, i really hope you go some where else to post, people like you (imitation rust) really piss me off. seriously dude grow a brain.

edit : don't be such a 5 year old for christ sake, the nature of being human is asking questions. As abtronic said, if such a post ruined your weekend then you seriously need medication, don't be a dick.
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sigh.

Why is it when someone asks a question that they don't know people jump all over them? Why not suggest to him to use Google and show him how he can effectively use google. Not everyone is adept at that. Rather than raging on him.

The question is valid for those learning something. I suspect that he read about it somewhere and that particular location doesn't give enough details.

Have a little heart and understanding, and give new people a break. A person with 6 posts isn't someone who understands everything and may not be as "l337" as the rest of you.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage