Set up SSH proxy on my Linux

Thread: Set up SSH proxy on my Linux

Set up SSH proxy on my Linux

I am sort of new to ssh tunnels and I want to use my linux box as a web proxy so I can surf from work. I want to use an ssh tunnel.

My company blocks many of the sites I like to go to, I tend to go to gamer sites. In any case, I can ssh to my servers just fine.

Any ideas?
    Atlanta, GA

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Your company block these for a reason and you should not be visiting.

With that said:

You would have to this using your ~/.ssh/config and specifically set up a tunnel to each individual site.

A shameless plug for my own tutorial may hlep you:

Using something like this:
    # connect to google
    Local Forward 1024
    typing localhost:1024 into you browser should connect you to google.

But the easiest thing might be to use remote X forwarding (Set by deafult)

This fires up moz. on your local screen, but you are actually surfing from home.

IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire.

I respect the restricted sites of the company...

I like the X idea, I wanted to that initially. I guess I need to get exceed or something.

Thanks again,

Atlanta, GA

Why not just do something like I do?

vnc over ssh

of course... you'll have to be able to install vnc so hopefully you have local admin priv.

web filers can be a huge pain in the ass. it sucks when you have to call the "web filtering" admin and wait 5 days to determine if you can indeed go to the antivirus site that the filter blocked because of a false positive. (eg. had "hacker" in the meta fields)

You'd think they wouldn't block other admins... at least... you'd think that.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.