Thread: knoppix STD - "INIT PANIC" need some pointers

knoppix STD - "INIT PANIC" need some pointers

This question isn't strictly security but I figure this is probably the best place to put it. I've just recently got round to d/l the latest version of Knoppix STD - just to play around with and cos I'd like to have a look at it. Anyway everything seemed to go ok with the d/l and I have burned it to disk (using Nero 5.5.5.9)... upon rebooting the usual boot up stuff appears until we get to hard drake checking for hardware then I get the following message

INIT PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x804e21d! sleeping for 30 sec

and the rest of the boot up hangs. I've had a look around google and there are a number of people asking about this - but seemingly no answers (unless I've missed them)

An example of what thread I'm finding are like this

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3406

Oh... and the system is an AthlonXP1800, two HD (60 and 40GB), 1.25GB RAM (yeah I know it's excessive), NVidia Gforce, curently only running XP - and normal versions of knoppix (3.1, 3.2) run just fine on it

Myself I'm thinking that either Knoppix STD is having problems with one of the memory buffers in my RAM.... or the d/l went screwy somewhere... anyone else got any experience and or pointers as to the problem?

cheers all

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

umm... did someone just move this to GCC... I originally posted in *nix security

MSM???

Z

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Yes?

You're right. It's not security related, hence it fits more GCC than *nix Security.

And I've never seen an "INIT PANIC". Have you run Knoppix this system before? Could be it doesn't like the hardware (Athlon vs. Intel issue)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Oh.. was there any other error indications? Line numbers or anything like that?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

ok... wasn't sure, but if you reckon GCC is better suited - well your the mod round here

I've not run Knoppix STD on the system before but

and normal versions of knoppix (3.1, 3.2) run just fine on it
    except that should have been 3.0 and 3.1... so yes I have run knoppix on this system before... had it installed on one of the HD's at one point too and never had a problem

I'm d/l the iso again from a different server just in case the first d/l went screwy

[edit] No - no line numbers... just the error message exactly as stated... incidentally it does keep repeating every 30 seconds (let it run for 4 mins before rebooting) so the system doesn't freeze completely but it doesn't go any further with the boot up into Knoppix

Z

Everything I'm reading on "INIT PANICS" suggests that this is often an issue when something is called from INIT but isn't there or is misconfigured or something like that. Might be a bad download. If the problem happens again, perhaps try one version behind. Could be that something they have misconfigured?

interesting... I've never seen an "INIT PANIC" either... hence reason for being a bit stuck... better go find something on it to read up on - thanks for the reply

Z