Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honeypot???

Don't honeypots also suck up the resources of the computer that is hacking into it? I've heard that they also bog down the resources of the attacking computer making it so that their machine is unable to function?
    JP

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Fastball: That's a Tarpit..... You get into it.... you get stuck and you can't get out..... It's really a honeypot on speed..... All the "attraction" of the honeypot but with the nasty side effect of locking up your resources that could be used to attack others.

As far as I am concerned the argument about honeypots being entrapment is a lot like the BS about the unlocked car with the keys in...... I'm a law abiding citizen, If I pass a car that is unlocked with the keys in my first thought is "Moron".... It isn't "Wow, a freebie"... If it was I'd be a criminal. Same principle applies to a honeypot..... I don't search the internet for machines with "the door unlocked and the keys in"..... Because i have no intent to commit a crime. But those people who are searching have an intent..... The intent is to exploit a machine if they can. But they started with the intent.... and even if they came across it by accident, they had the choice to "walk on by".... They don't!

Opportunistic crime is no better nor worse than premeditated. It goes to the psyche of the individual involved.... if they are predisposed to commit a crime they will..... If they aren't they won't.... period......

The fact that the liberal "idiots" in this world can't see that a crime is still a crime and the defense lawyers "prey" upon that notion is the issue.

Entrapment _should_ be: If I send you an attackable IP address, (there's millions, don't forget), and tell you it's attackable and I'm a law enforcement official and you attack it.... that's entrapment..... If I'm a law enforcement official who simply places a honeypot out there and says nothing about it and you attack it..... Your @$$ is grass.... Because _you_ searched it out, _you_ assessed it and _you_ attacked it......

It's really that simple..... But there's those lawyers preying on the "bleeding hearts" that will make sure that this is considered "illogical".....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    On the subject of Honeypots being protective vs entrapment, here's a nice .PDF for you guys to read up on. I think it's only about 5 pages worth. I read it and it seems a legal 'fine line' if you will. It appears though, that law enforcement officials have an easy way out of being charged with entrapment, they have use someone who is not a law enforcement officer to set up the honeypot.
    Check out the bottom of page 3, Societal Issues. This deals alot with the question in hand.

http://www.sosresearch.org/publicati...2honeypots.PDF
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton