Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a new kind of forum

a new kind of forum

First of all I would like to apologize to the admin if this queston has been posted 1000's of times. I really enjoy your site, but i was wondering if there could be a forum for people who are just starting out could communicate with each other without having to waste alot of the experienced peoples time putting up our newb posts all over the boards. Which most newb questions are probably already on the site but the site is so vast sometimes its hard to find if you are new to this.

I understand there is a newb forum to learn the rules and read tutorials which is perfect, but if there was a forum that consolodated the super newbs into one place to help each other and just chat about what they have learned that would be great .

I would really like to learn a lot and I beleive this would help a great deal. Again I apologize if this idea has been asked before or if there is a newbie chat that is right under my nose( I got a.d.d. so i overlook the obvious sometimes).

If you did decide to make one of these forums it would need to be like super super noobish like kindearten class. Because alot of people who have a great deal of knowledge still consider themselves to be newbs. But if there was a supernoob forum we could ask eacher other the most primitive question without fear of being made fun of. Gotta crawl before you can walk.

so thanks for all the time you took to read this post that was probably way too long. And if there is a place like this just give me hyperlink and excuse my retardedness. i'll keep my idiocy to a minimum.

thx again
    i90t@dd

Elite Hacker
    That's actually a good idea I think. I propose the name "Newbie Chit Chat". I'm not kidding either, I really like the idea. The only thing is that I would probably still creep in there and help people out. There should be a rule that no matter how obvious or dumb the question, you can't neg or make fun of them, if it is so obvious you should just answer it. I like this idea and hope it gets implemented. I think too many people get flamed for asking legitemate questions that the geniouses think are so obvious.

Banned
    This is actually a very good idea, wonder why nobody has thought of it before. Good idea again.

Thanks for the reply fellas. After reading some of the similar threads its apparant that many of the experienced people here have asked for and advanced type of forum and it seems the major motivation for that is redundant newb questions.

I totaly understand how frustrating it is to see a post that is irrelevant to the forum, my 2nd post on this site was something that shouldn't have been there and I was politely corrected by one of the members. The fact is that I should have known better but sometimes in all the exitement of learning new things that you find a great interest in you tend to overlook the etiquite.

If there was a "newbie chit chat" I think it would dramatically reduce the number of super noob questions on the forum. Also, it would be great if some of the advanced users wanted to volunteer some of thier support by helping with some of the newb posts but no one would have to feel obligated to do so. If somebody wrote something out of line they could be corrected but not flamed(unless it becomes habitual). This way its a win win situation for the newbs who really want to learn and the members who are experienced. It will keep us out of your hair but keep an open dialouge between the two.

thx for ya'lls imput
    p.s. I was reading about the antipoints thing after i wrote this and it said that i gave negative antipoints one of you two guys so if that is the case i apologize it was an accident. I didn't know what i was doing.

I think that this is a great idea. Me thinks that Intmon or who ever could make this possible should. it would stop the flaming and arguments, and the n00bies would have some were they could retreat to.
    Well until they reach addicts forum..
    And i know i would still go into that area, just so i could help those with there questions.
    And i'm also suprised that this hasn't been mentioned or even brought up before, and i've just taken a little browse around the Forums and really there ain't no places for n00bies to go and ask there more simpler questions..
    Anyhow that's my rant for the day..

cheers
    creative

Yeah, this is really a great idea <-- the more people think this is great, the more chance an admin will add this forum he
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I have a few thoughts/questions in regards to this:

1) What would stop an existing member from "abusing" a newb?

2) If it's all newbs talking to newbs and none of the newbs know the answer, then what?

3) what if the newb isn't that much of a newbie but rather has a specific question? If they are stuck in this "newb" forum where do they turn then?

4) Why can't General Chit Chat and Newbie Security be used for this? What your referring to is a cultural change in the AO society (not a bad thing) but adding a new forum doesn't solve that cultural issue. You'll still get those that ask questions like "How do I hack my g/f's email?". If no negs, then how are these dealt with?

5) Trolls. Most "trolls" would appear in the newbie level. If no negs are given, then what?

Just some things to think about.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    I dont think he means newbs should be confined to this forum it could just be a place they could start off in, plus trolls can be kept out with some vigilant modding perhaps getting a member to specify in this forum, Im sure there would be no lack of people willing to help out.

It could just be a forum that as a newb you could drop into and get friendly with othe newbs as well as asking each other questions and perhaps learning from each other, then if they get stuck they just ask in a different forum...

Not sure Im making sense, hectic essay day.

Pretty good point. Nothing would really stop an exhisting member for flamming a but i think if people just understood that most of the questions on the forum would be of the newbish persuasion then maybe they wouldn't be so quick to flame as they would be in a regular forum.
    Many people who asked the questions like "how can i hack my school?" could just be corrected and the noob would start to learn the etiquitte without getting defensive.

I don't want the forum to promote immaturity and fill up the website with newb wanna be hacker kids but those people will show up regardless and this forum would kind show people who want to learn a foundation. And this would maybe instill a sense of understanding and responsibility to the newcomers.

I'm still not quite up to date on the assigning of negs but i figure if somebody kept asking those kinds of questions could maybe be reported or something. Or they could receive negs if the never seemed to learn the posting rules.

I just figured if some one asked a non-newb question by accident then people would say like "man thats over my head" or "i have no idea, maybe they can tell on the general chit chat"

As far as newbs asking newbs questions i figured advanced members who would enjoy answering questions cuold do so if they wanted but if not we would find the answer somehow. And as far as chatting with each other there be people who would feel comfortable about sharing new things that they learned without feeling stupid.

Overall it seems like a great idea but being new here I don't know what deeper issues might be affected by something like this. So if you really think it would not be beneficial then i totally understand.

thanks

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'm not saying it isn't a potentially beneficial idea. I just wonder if we could use the resources that we have here rather than creating an entirely new forum. Like, how about this: Newbs for the most part are not to be negged unless they are obvious trolls (e.g, they post something like "ur all a bunch of nazi liberals!").

Dumb questions like "How do I hack hotmail" can be asked without fear of being negged and members attempt to sway or redirect the newb to more appropriate thought (sounds like brainwashing but I think you know what I mean).

The other that would concern me is how much more confusing this would make it for new members (yet another forum where they'd potentially post).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage