Telnet Questions

Thread: Telnet Questions

Telnet Questions

Im brand new to telnet, and im only 14, so take it easy with the flames please. Ive looked up telnet, etc. many times on google etc, and im just completely lost. Today was the first day i could even figure out how to open it. Will someone please help me out with some links to learners tutorials? (I know there are many here also, im looking at them whilst i await a response.)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Try a search here on "telnet".... You should find loads of stuff......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Redondo Beach, CA
    I've moved this from Newbie Security questions to GCC (as it's not really a security question). You might want to go to the search function here and type in tutorial telnet. You should find quite a few to help.

Also a visit to RFC Website to get the full RFC on telnet would probably give you more insight into the protocol itself.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Elite Hacker
    This is a good telnet tut on this site. The easiest way that I use telnet is to just go to the command prompt and type:
    telnet port
    where is the server you are trying to connect to and port is the port number the server accepts connections on such as 80. The default telnet port is 23 so it you wanted to connect to port 23 somewhere you would just type:
    which defaults to port 23. I don't like just typing telnet then hitting enter because then you have to use the commands such as open or o to open a connection, the way I described above is easier. If you are unable to connect then that means that either that server blocks all ip's but certain specified ones they want to access it, or there is no application bound to that port(or a lot of other things I can't think of). If you have an email account(I guess you have to to sign up here, plus who doesn't these days) you can view the headers of the emails you receive and connect to some of the smtp servers. Then use the tutorial in the first link above for the smtp commands. Here is a sample for you to try to connect to, this will connect you to my webserver, there's not much you can do here though:
    telnet 80
    that connects you to IP address at port 80. Have fun learning new things.

p.s. Depending on what version of windows you have, you should be able to navigate around in the start menu to find the command prompt. I have 98 and XP, and for 98 go to start>programs>MS-DOS Prompt. For XP go to start>all programs>accessories>command prompt. win2000 should be like XP, and ME and 95 should be like 98. Good luck.