Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: schools and political pushing

schools and political pushing

recently ive been noticing in my school that the staff is pushing and educating us to grow up to be liberals. a social studies book i got last year was A Man of Two Mountains or something like that, and we had to read it. In the book it discusses how great Gandi was because he kept the "evil British"(directly quoted from book) from supresing his people. In case any of you havent noticed, the moment the British left India it was thrown into turmoil. I live in a liberal town, and im sure thats part of it, but even in class the teachers teach strictly liberal views, and me being a republican, when i speak on my opinion the teachers say that i am wrong. I respect peoples views, im not saying i hate democrats or anything, but i am highly against schools trying to push us to a political side. shouldnt we decide for ourselves???
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

Definitely. Schools are responsible for presenting information in an unbiased form, thereby allowing the students to make their own decisions.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

That's the problem I have with school, instead of teaching us the facts they attempt to push an ideology on the students. A great majority of the teachers in most public schools are liberals, because as a teacher you sort of have to be; they are the ones giving you the big raises as taxes continue to rise. As most students are too apathetic to research topics on their own, so as a result they only get the left side of things. Of course the students should decide where they stand on facts, but teachers in many cases find it much easier to work opinion in their lesson plans. If they ever decided to present both sides of an issue, they'd be doing double the work

BTW: Similar story, in school we had to read two articles in english, one on hillary clinton and another on oprah, and write about how great they were and how they were "incredibly strong women" and how they had to deal with "an incredble amount of difficulty in their lives".

It was pure torture

Me and Deimos are at the same school. I agree with you Deimos. These teachers are very biased
    [gloworange]PsychoJester[/gloworange]

Well I personally do not think that teachers should say that you are wrong in a political debate unless you are blatantly lying. (Saying the sky is falling because George Bush blew it up with nukes or something to that effect) However, I have had few teachers really try to create a unbiased debate when talking about politics.

BTW: Similar story, in school we had to read two articles in english, one on hillary clinton and another on oprah, and write about how great they were and how they were "incredibly strong women" and how they had to deal with "an incredble amount of difficulty in their lives".
    You can make a case that both of those women were strong women. They overcame something. Oprah is a black woman and in the US society, there is still racism. Hillary is somewhat a strong woman in the same way. She became a congresswoman in a congress mostly full of middle aged to old white men. That takes guts to stand up to these guys. Also, she stayed strong when her husbands personal life was being discussed all over the world. So you can make a case, but I admit that the question was worded so that you could not present a different opinion.

That's the problem I have with school, instead of teaching us the facts they attempt to push an ideology on the students. A great majority of the teachers in most public schools are liberals, because as a teacher you sort of have to be; they are the ones giving you the big raises as taxes continue to rise. As most students are too apathetic to research topics on their own, so as a result they only get the left side of things. Of course the students should decide where they stand on facts, but teachers in many cases find it much easier to work opinion in their lesson plans. If they ever decided to present both sides of an issue, they'd be doing double the work
    Hmmm... I dont think that is the case. Teachers have too little time to really discuss a subject in great detail. (1 hour per class) My own parents are teachers, are very conservative and a great deal of their friends (also teachers) are very conservative.

I dont understand what you mean by this comment:
    they are the ones giving you the big raises as taxes continue to rise.
    Teachers getting paid raises? What crazy world do you belong too? Most teachers are not paid what they are worth.

A Man of Two Mountains or something like that, and we had to read it. In the book it discusses how great Gandi was because he kept the "evil British"(directly quoted from book) from supresing his people. In case any of you havent noticed, the moment the British left India it was thrown into turmoil.
    Now I have found that most textbooks are pretty conservative when giving out this kind of info. I suppose it all has to do with what company you are buying your books from...

Also, I could not find "A Man of Two Mountains" on google or amazon.com. Is there a way that you can figure out the real name?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

the name of the book is NonViolent Soldier of Islam by Eknath Easwaran
    on the cover you can even tell it is a biased book, below the title it says Badshah Khan and Mahatma Gandhi Allies in a Revolution of Human Spirit Pioneers in a Culture of Peace.
    BTW im glad you guys agree with me, we are supposed to be taught facts, not the teachers political views. and yes when i raise my hand during class my views are pushed aside as if they are not political views but wrong answers: the other day in class we were talking about justification for the Iraq War and I raised my hand and said "i believe the war is justified because the Saddam Regime was responsible for torturing and killing thousands of innocent people, corrupting government officials and because he suppressed any form of freedom of speech" the teacher then said "i dont know where you heard that but all of that is wrong and false information" and then called on someone else. like i said before im not saying i dont like democrats or anything, but i should be able to express my views without the teacher saying "thats wrong" i mean honestly its politics, nothing is right or wrong, yet my ideas and views are treated like crap.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

Two notes on teachers pay,
    1 they are not paid dick this is why we have so many bad teachers we do not pay enough to bring in the best and the brigteist.
    2 teachers are paid useusly through property taxes, every dime you pay in property tax s deductable from your income tax, so a raise in their pay dosn't raise your total tax load at all, in fact it takes money out of federal pork and use's it for local good something that even conservatives should be in favor of.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by Deimos326
    the name of the book is NonViolent Soldier of Islam by Eknath Easwaran
    on the cover you can even tell it is a biased book, below the title it says Badshah Khan and Mahatma Gandhi Allies in a Revolution of Human Spirit Pioneers in a Culture of Peace.
    BTW im glad you guys agree with me, we are supposed to be taught facts, not the teachers political views. and yes when i raise my hand during class my views are pushed aside as if they are not political views but wrong answers: the other day in class we were talking about justification for the Iraq War and I raised my hand and said "i believe the war is justified because the Saddam Regime was responsible for torturing and killing thousands of innocent people, corrupting government officials and because he suppressed any form of freedom of speech" the teacher then said "i dont know where you heard that but all of that is wrong and false information" and then called on someone else. like i said before im not saying i dont like democrats or anything, but i should be able to express my views without the teacher saying "thats wrong" i mean honestly its politics, nothing is right or wrong, yet my ideas and views are treated like crap.
    They can say your views are wrong if they are wrong, much like your justification for the Iraq war (not saying that husain didn't do those things, jsut pointing out that we curently support regimes in the world that act in the exact same way.)
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

I thought you were talking about an actual textbook. (Like your social studies book or something) This book just looks like it was assigned for an assignment...

Two notes on teachers pay,
    1 they are not paid dick this is why we have so many bad teachers we do not pay enough to bring in the best and the brigteist.
    2 teachers are paid useusly through property taxes, every dime you pay in property tax s deductable from your income tax, so a raise in their pay dosn't raise your total tax load at all, in fact it takes money out of federal pork and use's it for local good something that even conservatives should be in favor of.
    I am a bit biased on this view, (my parents are both teachers) but I totally agree with BBallad on this one. Education has been a low priority for such a long time and does not get near enough funding. At my high school, (in 1997 when I was a Senior) we wer using books from the 1980's.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

actually our textbooks are also liberal biased. quote from my SS textbook "America is one of the most criminally induced countries in the world. a majority of this reason is that conservatives (republicans) votes have been inadequate to our countries needs, and thus cause many people the emotional problems of depression, which often leads to crime"
    What the hell is up with -have been inadequate to our countries needs-???? and how does votes relate to emotional depression so directly??? PsychoJester goes to my school also and could certainly add to this
    Red Hot Chili Peppers