Video Card

Thread: Video Card

Video Card

I am looking into getting a new video card for my linux box (Slackware 9.1, 2ghz, 512mb ram, DVD-ROM). I just found out that my motherboard doesn't support 8x AGP - only up to 4x. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at the nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 PCI version, but is there something better I could use? I've heard that for linux support, nVidia is the way to go.

Thanks!

Ruzhyo

Hi,

A bit more info would be useful:

1. What MoBo do you have?
    2. Are you dual booting? if so, with what?
    3. What do you or intend to use the box for?
    4. What is your current video card & specs?
    5. What memory speed have you currently got?
    6. What is the maximum memory speed that your MoBo supports?
    7. What are the specs for your monitor?

And if you think the last question strange..........I have seen people want a $500 video card to use with a LCD monitor that cannot outperform a $100 card!!!

Cheers

AO French Antique News Whore
    If my memory serve me right, ATI have linux driver.. And I'm realy into the Radeon 9600 **. I know they have a few card running with the 9600 CPU. And again, unless memory failure, they run on 4x et 8X
    -Simon \"SDK\"

The Radeons should all run 4x, I would go with the 9600SE, I like the performance, and there is a Linux driver as I recall. You may even want to look into the All in Wonder, if there is a Linux driver, I'm not surea bout that.

As far as the nVidia chipset goes, I understand that RH had some issues with it. The cards would run, but there were underlying problems. ATI has always been the way to go.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Their no Linux Driver for All-In Wonder Serie.. Ati support Linux driver for 8500 and up.
    http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Specs

Thanks for the input! Here are some more details:

1. What MoBo do you have?
    I have a KM2M Combo (MS-6738) - VIA KM266 Chipset Based
    2. Are you dual booting? if so, with what?
    No dual booting, just straight Slackware linux. No more M$ for me ;-)
    3. What do you or intend to use the box for?
    Mostly work stuff, but I'd be cool to play a little UT now and then. I have a DVD-ROM drive, and my computer is hooked up to my stereo, and I'm getting a creative sound blaster Live to put in it, so I would like to play DVD's too.
    4. What is your current video card & specs?
    I'm just using the integrated video right now - Integrated Savage 8 2D/3D Graphic controller
    5. What memory speed have you currently got?
    Not sure
    6. What is the maximum memory speed that your MoBo supports?
    Not sure - It says VIA VT8235 Chipset - 533MB/sec Vlink client controller - is that what you mean?
    7. What are the specs for your monitor?
    Pretty crappy for now - looking at buying a new one soon.

I'm not looking for top of the line vid card, but if anyone is actually running linux out there with a decent video card, I would appreciate recommendations/not, or any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am still waiting some feedback from my *nix friends but in the meantime you might like to go here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/foru...?s=&forumid=14

This is the forum for nVidia/Linux users, so you should get some info "from the horse's mouth" so to speak.

I notice that you mention a PCI card, does this mean that your MoBo doesn't have an AGP slot? The reason I ask that theoretically an AGP slot runs at twice the speed of PCI, and PCI videocards are relatively scarce these days. This could limit your choice as I am not sure that you can get the Ati Radeon 9000 series in PCI?

As far as I am aware the GeForce 4200ti will run with *nix..........there are certainly drivers for it, but there may be issues with particular distros, and possibly some games.......hence the link above

I will get back later when a few of my *nix gurus have responded.

Cheers