Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Security

Personal Security

Can someone help me with a problem? My dad is really good with computers and he is always playing with our computers. Sometimes I think he also watches what we do.

The thing is my girlfriend sends me pictures of her and I don't want my dad to see them. Its kind of gross to have your dad see your girlfriend like that. Is there any way to keep him from seeing these pictures?

My computer is running Windows 2000.

You should have her send the photo's to a different email address, then check it from another computer. If he is watching your activities, there isn't much you can do to hide it. Especially since you have no idea, what kind of methods he may be using.

Well, this is the computer in my bed room and I think he watches because this girl a friend of mine brought to a party gave me her website (see below). And after I looked at it, my dad said she is no longer allowed over our house. He said it is because she stole some beer, but I don't think that is the problem and she said she hates beer.

Some told me to make another post, hide it, and attach the website there. So the website is below.

On another post, the issue of parental rights to surveillance was discussed already.
    I do understand your concern, but if you don't know how he is monotoring you, you're one step behind.

I could recommend you an encripting/pass protecting proggie like FileVault, but if he is using a keylogger he can easily get your password and open the photos anyway.

Try running this keylogger Hunter utility and see if you're being logged. If not, password protect the pic's and after you view them delete them from the 'recently viewed files'. Go to: 'C:\Documents and Settings\user\Recent' and remove the .ink's regarding the pics.

If you don't even get to dl them to your comp, just open then from your email site (NOT a prog like outlook), and afterwards go to 'Doc and Settings>user>local settings and clean the History and the Temporary Internet Folders'.

+0.2

Well, I understand he has the rights and I am not going to argue that, but I don't want to say Dad can I have this folder to myself. You know he will be curious and want to look at it.

Could you please tell us the Operating system in question here, as well as a list of running processes?

I am running Windows 2000 and the current processes running is Kazaa and AIM.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but if someone has physical access to your box, you are owned. Wait until you get old enough then leave home......it really is your only option, particularly if your old man is as computer aware as you suggest.

You imply that he knows more than you.............don't do anything clever, it will not do anything for family relationships?

I am afraid that is one of the cold hard facts of life.

Take care & good luck

It has occurred to me that he might not be so cool with linux?.......

I agree with you...maybe his father won't fell that uber dealing with linux, but probably neither will he so....

I am at a friends house using Linux Red Hat 9. It is my computer, I can install linux if I want, but I am also a huge gamer.