Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finding exploits ->>

finding exploits ->>

Say you're playing a wargame:

You find the target machine is running win2k.

What do people do at this point? Just scour the web for known vulnerabilities until they find one?
    |
    |- So say the defending team updates there os with a simple windows update. Double click and bam

What is the new approach toward this machine? Do people successfully exploit the system within a wargame timeline?

thanks, andy

As far as I know, exploiting a machine involves several different things.

Its not as easy as port scan then telnet.

Yes, a port scan is part of the process, but is not all of it. You do a portscan to find out what he has running on his box. Then you see if any one of those services are exploitable.

So this would be doing some researching on the program running on that computer, its known vulnerabilities, and ways to take it down.

I'm sure theres been people who has successfully defeated a system within the wargame timeline.

Like I said, Exploiting involves research.
    =

cheyenne1212: MsM should smack you for not refering to her newly created, work in process on wargames!

They are great and you should def. check them out.
    They are still in the works, but they deal with exactly what you are asking.

Tutorial: Wargames: Part 1
    Tutorial: Wargames: Part 2 -- LONG

I personally can't wait for the rest of them. I'm going to put up an "ad" at school to see if I can get some other people interested in this stuff... since our school doens't offer anything like it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

OMG!!!

Sorry Ms.M

Thanks phish. lol

Forgot about them. lol

I definitely suggest that you check them out skillfreak
    =

1st: read MsMittens tuts.
    2nd: in real life one never uses other's code (unless u r a lame hacker! :-) ) because by doing so u expose yourself. code created by others might be known and therefore represent a risk 4 u. u must keep updated, know about vulnerabilities (old and new), and write your own code to exploit that vulnerability.
    3rd: hacking it's not just breaking into a system. that's the easiest part (i don't mean it's easy, just that it's the easiest part). the most important thing to remember is never leave a trace: u were never there. and also, make sure not to get traced back. that's the hardest part.
    but yes, essentially, u try to learn the most about your target: OS, services running, etc, and try different things, look 4 vulnerabilties and use them to achieve your goal. but never (and i personally NEVER) use other's code if your target is a big one.
    cheers, conseleknight.

jpr* now your being silly. if you had to write your own code from scratch for every vuln discovered most would be patched before you got to them and whos to say your's wont be detected. there's only so many ways to exploit a vuln. modify code, add your own shell code use a different port or differant offset for a particular box and sp, yes.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

well Tedob1, it all depends on your target.

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents and say:

Its ok to use someone elses 'source' code for some vulnerabilities.
    It would be best to then modify it before compiling it and using it.

But you should almost never use someone elses application to do the hacking as if you don't have access to the source code you won't know what possible vulnerabilities that code has or whether it has been modified to contain a virus or trojan...

Would be my 2 cents on your little debate...

RRP

i agree bpiedlow...u can use other's structure of a code, but not the code itself. if u r hacking into a roommate pc, it's ok: use whatever u like. but if your target is more or less important, u can't use other's code, cause it's probably known by the sys admin, and that's a security risk 4 u (msmittens can tell us from her perspective). and one other thing: it's okay making use of vulnerabilities discovered and exploited by others (always modifying the code! :-) ), but it's more interesting 2 discover and exploit vulnerabilities by yourself. one thing is certain, if u r trying 2 break into an important target, the sysmin will probably have had patched the whole thing, so if your strategy is 2 use other's code for vulnerabilities already known by everybody, u'll simply fail in breaking through. don't know if i'm making myself clear. well, this is getting interesting!! cheers 2 all!
    consoleknight.

BIOS Bomber
    have you not heard of a 0day? you make it seem like you HAVE to know how to program to hack something. thats so untrue. you dont have to program. being creative is another way around this. there are more than just codes to exploit amchines. whatabout social engineering? thats a good way inside without coding any computer exploits. also, whateabout Easter Eggs? there was a site a few years ago that if you used ";" as a search word you got root access. you dont have to program, just know what your talking about and be willing to try new things.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.