"Physical" DoS?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Physical" DoS?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

"Physical" DoS?

Ok.. So is this a DoS or not?

Source

A 21-year-old man from St Neots has been arrested after the main switchboard at Cambridgeshire police HQ was jammed by thousands of calls on Friday.

Concerned callers rang the Huntingdon-based HQ after receiving an email informing them that 399.99 would be taken out of their account to pay for an iPod music player they'd supposedly ordered.

The email also advised recipients that they should call the number listed in the email if they had any queries. The snag was that the number did not belong to some ecommerce outfit, but to Cambridge Police HQ. Its phone lines were jammed.

At the height of the deluge the HQ received more than 500 calls an hour as callers phoned to find out why they were being billed for something they hadn't ordered.
    Pretty nifty I guess if you want to get back against telemarketers. But man. Talk about an interesting side effect of an email spoof.

Another Source
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh he is good. That was a funny, successful Social engineernig DDOS attack on a phone system. I'd put it in that category. a mix between a DDOS and a social engineering ploy. People might think it was stupid....But would THEY ever figure out how to pull that off?

Well, you could constantly fax the number to DoS it

-Cheers-

I would say yes because people who had a real emergency wouldn't be able to get through but I must say he was very creative when he thought that one up.

Originally posted here by DeadAddict
    I would say yes because people who had a real emergency wouldn't be able to get through
    Yea, because the Police actually DO something right?

Come on man how many times has a cop ever jumped up to help you or your friends out?

Banned
    Thats funny!

Banned
    Yeah, I would say it would have to be considered a DoS becouse it did what it's name say's, "Denial of Service".

AO French Antique News Whore
    Nice one.. I agree!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

haha, this made my day.

Great idea
    The command completed successfully.

\"They drew first blood not me.\"

A similar thing happend a while back on DC101 ( a radio station for those of you not in the Virginia area) The morning dude got in some deep crap with the General Manager of the station. Well the station got considerable traffic to their site by listeners, so when Elliot failed to show up on the air the next day after the incident, people started emailing the GM to put him back on the air. It got to the point that Elliot was put back on the air, and had to ask people to quit emailing the station. Also during one of the last big MS vuln/virus incidents so many people were calling in for help that the system quit accepting new calls into the quene.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0