Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me! Im Confused!!!

Help Me! Im Confused!!!

I am greatly confused, by all the tutorials, and they only cover very broad topics about security. I was wondering, if a kind hearted AO member would "tutor" me, and maybe help me learn some things. I understand, that its sort of a "rule" that every one for himself, but i would really like someone to help me out :-/

Btw: I'm a 14 y/o gifted student, interested in ANYTHING related to computers. Please respond, and ill PM you with my AIM, MSN, or Yahoo. (as i havent gotten IRC yet).

So anyone out there with extra time, im open for instructions, i love to learn!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What exactly do you want to learn? Might be good to start at one place like firewalls and then go from there. Is there something in security that piques your interest? When I first started, I got interested in Intrusion Detection. I like the idea of seeing packets and seeing what an attacker is doing. And of the potential to catch them in the act (as it were).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

if you were so gifted you wouln't neat some one tutoring and teaching you. I recomend that you search google for ebooks in topics that youre intrested. Because some one may offert to tutor you but their strong point is in C++ programing and youre more intrested in network security. And if you do it in youre own its better cause you can specify in lernig just what you whant and that would make you whant to learn more of one topic. and another

Im interested in most ANTHING, but in particular, im very interested in telnet. But yes, intrusion detection would also be very interesting.

Also, i meant to state above, I know HTML, the basics of PHP, and Visual Basic.

regarding telnet, there is absolutely no need for a tutor. just search this site, google , and every other search engine and you'll find more than enough on telnet. but, AFAIK, most of the more knowledgable members of AO have kinda taught themselves. the most valulable piece of help i can offer you is to read read read read and read some more. the tutorials forums are great for this.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, when ya get IRC we'd love to have ya at irc.unerror.com and it would be a great place to learn. We even have a JAVA web based client at http://irc.unerror.com. I'm sure you could learn lots from there.

By the way, I'm 15 and if ya ever need anything, just PM me here. :-D

MB

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I'm not capable of teaching anyone anything, but I think that you need to find a good book list. It's for certain that there will be the people you require here on site, but at 14 you really do have time to do it slow, and do it right, and IMHO, for what it's worth, search through the archives for any 'basic' subject matter that you require, and post a thread when you can't find the answer there. And finally. Enjoy what you do, as there is nothing worse than doing a job that you can't stand, but you can't go anywhere else ( 'small' off topic whine ?? )
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I really don't mean to be mean.... But.... "gifted" is a word that can be taken in a few ways..... Not all of them are "complimentary".......

'Nuff said on that.....

Computers, the internet, connectivity etc. is a _huge_ subject and for any individual to personally mentor you is, frankly, not feasible.... The subject is really too big.

If you are as intelligent as you claim/think/are proved by others to be this stuff isn't really "rocket science". It's plain, logical stuff that, if the basic principles and concepts are understood then the rest should fall quite nicely into place..... Attention to detail, and I mean _detail_, is imperative....

You need to learn the depths of how things work..... I know my stuff, but that might not be your's. Someone else may know better where you are going but it might still be hard for them to properly "mentor" you..... The important thing is that you decide where you are going.... Research what you want and when you have questions about things you don't understand come back here and ask. Someone will know...

Good luck on your quest...... You will value the journey if the journey is what you really desire.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    Oh god damn it what is it about telnet lately? If you know VB then shouldn't you already be playing with winsock & makeing your own server and client software by now?

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...625#post694625
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...733#post693733

Also... what exactly would you like to know about IDS? I mean come on dude I dunno what the **** to give ya if I have no idea of exactly what you want... and im to lazy to fill five pages in this thread on the subject esspecially when im not even sure your looking for it.

I apologize for mis-stating what i meant by my thread. I meant, if you consider yourself fairly well educated/knowledged in any subject, and have any free time, i would love to learn from you. All these tutorials, are only basics, and the ones that go in depth, seem to skip a step or something, so im looking for someone, that wouldnt mind walking me step by step through some new stuff. If you don't have anything to offer, please dont critisize the "gifted" comment, that is just a label our stupid schools have placed on the "talented" students. I just thought, if they knew i wasnt a total dumb@ss, they may actually enjoy working with me.