Wireless router as access point?

Thread: Wireless router as access point?

Wireless router as access point?

I have a few wireless routers laying around, and was wondering if i could use them as just wireless access points? Also we (my frat) is on a T4 cabel (3 d/l 1.5 up) would the added weight from the access points kill our bandwith? All the routes are linksys i am not sure about the model #'s. I could get them if it is important...

yyour bandwith would stay the same. Its just if you used them it may bog down due to heaver traffic becasue of more availability.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

it would take a parking lot full of people with pringles cans to really slow it down though
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I was thinking about doing the same thing.

I just got a laptop with integrated 802.11g and I figured that I'd get the router rather than the access point. They both cost around the same $$...

Another thing I was thinking...

If I have my wired machines on 192.168.1.x then I can assign the WAN port on the wireless router an address of 192.168.1.x and the LAN port an address in range 192.168.2.x and keep them separate.

Then the wireless or anyone else who manages to get onto the "AP" won't be able to have access to the 192.168.1.x subnet. I'm also going to make sure that I have an ALC on the gateway router of the 192.168.1.x subnet to make sure that the .2.x subnet can't access for sure. (except to the router on 1.x so it can get to the internet). I'll have to make sure that only the 1.x subnet or a specific host on that 1.x subnet are the only ones that have access to ssh to the router. Just so they can't go in there and give themselves access.

Don't mean to hijack your thread... but its sort of relevant.

Does anyone see anything wrong with that?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Flint, MI
    acp> in other words, yes you can do it, and no it shouldn't cause a problem with your speed.

phish> thats how your supposed to set it up :P looks like you know what your talking about.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman