Are eGroups Safe?

Thread: Are eGroups Safe?

Are eGroups Safe?

How safe is information in an eGroup, specifically Yahoo? Someone I know put an entire database of addresses and phone numbers of all the members in a particular group up (including my own) and I am really uncomfortable with it. He's a moron, so if anyone could give me some facts in laymans terms as to why this would be a bad idea, I would greatly appreciate it. It is a restricted group that requires pre-approved membership, and the archives are not public, like some eGroups have. I am mostly concerned with the database feature, rather than the email feature, though.

How safe is an eGroup?? About as safe as playing russian roulet with only one cylinder unloaded. A recent thread here (sorry, don't remeber which) showed where a google search could find cashed pages from yahoo groups, and read the information from that group.
    Besides the membership itself is a risk. Do you know every member personally? Even then, one of those in the group could turn out to be a stalker, or e-mail address harvester for some spam company. Your address can be found easily by using a revearse number look up from your phone number. I never give my home phone to anybody or any institution on the web. I have a cell phone that I use for that.
    I would demand that the list be modified to remove any information about me, if I was in that group.
    Hope thisn helps you.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Re: Are eGroups Safe?

Oh, I know everyone in the group personally. I know all about the social engineering ways to get info, I am talking about more subtle, back door kinds of ways. Like someone just breaking into the group somehow and browsing at their leisure. Not someone we already approved into the group, I am talking strangers.

I read up on the group cache spying thread and tried it out with our group. The archived emails are not in a public archive, it is all private, so I couldn't read any of it without being logged into my account.

Hi Moxnix,

How safe is an eGroup?? About as safe as playing russian roulet with only one cylinder unloaded

Don't you mean a Colt .45 Auto

http://www.bitdefender.com have some useful free tools

Cheers

So based on that, did you try to set up a new account, just to verify that you can't without approval? I'm reaching way back in my memory banks here...but I thought there used to be a way to set up guest accounts without it...I could be wrong though....it's been a long time since I worked with yahoo groups.

Yup, I set used an alternate account I have and tried to get in, to no avail. Aren't there like packet sniffers or something like that that could be used to get that information, though?

Don't you mean a Colt .45 Auto
    Yeppers, you are right nihil!!! That is even a better simily....a Colt .45 Auto, with one bullet taken out of the clip....LOL
    windling, believe me, just because you couldn't access any confidential information with a google search does not mean another with a 'little' more knowledge could not. Any thing placed in any puplic or semipulic forum on the web is an open sourse to any one willing to spend the time and/or effort to view it.
    Some one on 'AO' once said that the only perfect security is to compleatly disconnect your computer and seal it in a safe......and that can be broken in to.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Re:- moxnix, the only safe computer is uplugged, wrapped up in it's boxes, put into a safe and the safe buried where noone can get at it.
    this is safe for a while !!!! Trust Noone, if you know EVERYONE on your clan, then store details on an old box that is not connected to the net unless required ?? Me, I'm a noob, but PC security has a long way to go before you can be CERTAIN !! at th rmoment you can only be Hopeful !!!
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone