CPU Temperature

Thread: CPU Temperature

CPU Temperature

I'm running a P4 @ 2.4 GHz, and although I was aware of this issue since I bought the box [about 6 months or so ago] I thought it's fairly normal... but right now I just want to check with fellow AO members.

The Hardware Monitor integrated in [my] BIOS is set to monitor the CPU temp for when it goes over 75 degrees Celsius, at which point I receive an alert etc. [the alert it only there if I'm booting, not while I'm running software etc]. My question is, how fast should I change my fan? [Because I will, I know, as far as I heard most CPUs run around 40 degrees tops]. Is this an issue, or is it just that my CPU can work at such a high temperature without problems?

Thanx in advance.

I think most fans run at ethier 5200 Rpm or 2400. (Cant remember which at the moment)

If your worried about it, then download Motherboard Monitor and see how hot your CPU is getting while running the fan at different speeds.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I guess your processor will operate up to 85C and maybe more. I would not expect a desktop or tower to actually run at much more than 50, or about 15-20 degrees above room temperature.

If you hit 75C, your system will shutdown. The reason for this is that it is probable that your CPU fan has failed if this temp is reached. It is an arbitrary limit, but designed to give enough time for protection. I personally set my limit at 60C, but that is for a UK environment (you can change it in the BIOS by running setup).

Hope that this helps

BIOS says my fan runs close to 4000 RPM [it fluctuates] and although it's set for highest speed at all time [I'd rather buy a new fan than a new CPU] whenever I reboot my computer from linux I get that "CPU temperature too high" warning. It's always around 78C when that happens, so I guess it's not something that bad [as I said, the monitor sends out alerts at 75C and up]. The computer never shut off otherwise, so I'm not sure when [what temp] would cause that. Nor am I particularly keen on finding it out. I guess I'll buy a new fan when I have the cash [I saw this cool blue-light one] that's higher speed.

Thanx all for the input!
    /\\

Hi,

Sorry to say, but you have a problem, and it is potentially quite serious, as frying your CPU will frequently fry the MoBo with it.

I do not believe that your CPU should be getting that hot unless you are into some suicidal overclocking?

You should check that the heatsink and fan are approved by the CPU manufacturer for a CPU of that speed.

Have a look at the heatsink/processor connection......is there white "gunk" coming out?

Your thermal paste and the connection between heatsink and processor may be compromised.

It also sounds as if your CPU fan is in trouble?......clean any rubbish out of it and be sure that no wires are slowing it down. Visually inspect it (run machine with case off...and be careful) to see if it spins quickly and regularly.

Earth (ground) yourself on the bare metal of the case (or wear a strap) then power down and lightly touch the top of the CPU fan if it hurts (burns you), it needs replacing.

I recommend the use of silver based thermal compound, not the white gunk that cowboys use.

If you are not completely confident with PC maintenance, please take it to your local shop or whatever.

They probably have laser guided spot temperature meters and such, as I do. It could be that your software is giving false alarms.....but if you burn your finger as I just suggested, it is not, and you have a serious problem.

Good Luck

Wow, thanx... well my warranty is for one year and if it burns.. they fix it. It says 'Intel' on the fan but.. yeah. I can see it working [I have a 'window' in the side of the PC] and there's no weird, unregulated sounds coming from it. ANyway, next shutdown I'll do what you suggested and hopefully it won't burn
    /\\

Hi,

very stupid of me not to spot that it would be warranty

I would take it straight back then, and do not accept any BS like "that is normal sir"........it IS NOT...and your lawyer will be talking to Intel, local press, computer press and so on

I am afraid I build my own or refurbish these days so I only think of "warranty" in terms of individual components, not a whole system.

Cheers

And bloody good luck!...stick to your guns mate

My warranty is on individual components, cuz the system is custom-built as in I gave them the list and they did it for me... well I know it's not like actually building your own thing but it's better than prepackaged boxes I think.

again, thanx a million for the input. and yeah, i'll take my guns when.. I mean I'll stick to my guns when I go and talk to them
    /\\

Originally posted here by hypronix
    Wow, thanx... well my warranty is for one year and if it burns.. they fix it. It says 'Intel' on the fan but.. yeah. I can see it working [I have a 'window' in the side of the PC] and there's no weird, unregulated sounds coming from it. ANyway, next shutdown I'll do what you suggested and hopefully it won't burn
    You have not overclocked the machine right? You void your warrenty in most places if you overclock your machine.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Nope. As far as I read I could gain 200, max 300 MHz on top of what I've got. But I don't think I'm killing my box yet to have it overclocked just yet
    /\\