Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus or Hoax

About the buddy list thing... You might be thinkin of that talkstocks.net or realphx or buddypictures.net adware scheme, where you link to adware that changes your profile. Maybe an virus is going around that overwrites your profile, and sends an email saying, "Check out my profile" to someone else with the victims screen name, and then the cycle starts over.

People are gulible I'll vote hoax

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Definate hoax. Looking at the results of Google Search only confirms it. Evidentally someone is putting this one through a lot of gaming sites and such.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I think you are right MsMittens, but it is definately new. It hasn't reached the Urban Legends Reference Pages yet. ( http://www.snopes.com/info/whatsnew.asp )
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I wonder, is writting a hoax just as self gratisfying as writing a virus. I mean if it's for fame and glory how easy would that be.

Beware this virus, comes as email savethechildren@welfare4life.com it specifically attacks ICQ users and has a encoded msg stating "I am ICQ King U will all pay I am teh C.L.I.T. Commander"

Now My slogan is popular I can't get in deep for hacking or nothing and I have become script kiddie of the month in my Script Kiddie group cuase I told them I wrote the virus and... well you guys are getting the message.. I hope

oh On the topic of urban myth and hoaxes. WAS there ever a virus that targeted the new ATX machines forcing the hard drive to continuelly spin itself into a revolutionary style death (Hmmm bad pun..... I like it)

Seriously I've heard so many times aboutt his viri and I like the theme of it, it's actually scawee. But does it exist and if not..... hmm how does one. oh yes irc...

I don't think this is a new one.....because some were posted in other forums as early as october

I may be missing something here, but how on God's Green Earth could a virus that wipes your entire hard drive ever allow you to infect anyone else after the fact?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

This virus dosn't WIPE your Hard drive it cuases the equivelent of overrevving your engine untill your HDD burns itself out or so rumour is told. And a virus that WIPES your hard drive only has to replicate itself BEFORE it wipes the drive to have done it's job. Infiltrate Propogate , wait till you see the whites in there eyes , destroy

Just Another Geek
    If the email doesn't contain anything verifyable (links to antivirus sites i.e.) and it ends with the 'advice' to send it to everyone in your addressbook you can be sure it's a hoax. If it smells like a hoax and looks like a hoax it usually is a hoax

I did find some references but they where all in Dutch. For the Dutch speaking people here they can check out http://www.nepwaarschuwing.nl.

Can you post the entire email? It may contain some other pointers to help identify it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.