Reinstall your Operating System
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reinstall your Operating System

Reinstall your Operating System

Was just sitting here doing a fresh install of Windows on one of my boxes and was wondering how often do any of you wipe your harddrive(s) and do fresh installs of your operating system(s)?

I change OS's at least once a week on at least one of my machines.

I only have 2 permanant machines. AMD box running RH 9, and a Dell laptop running 98SE (Yes, dammit. I admit it, I have Windows. /me starts crying).

The new laptop is getting SuSE soon...
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Ughh.. Depends on how many times I mess windows up =/. I usually like to do it at least once every 6 months or so, usually a pain though, as long as you can get all the documents you need. The first week or so re-installing all the plug-ins, and windows updates, will be a pain =/. I know I got to do that soon, messed up my Windows partition and cant boot into it. Thank god for you SuSE!
    What do you get when you cross a nun and a penguin?
    An operating system that won\'t go down on you.

Let me know how suse works out for you haven't got around to downloading it yet been toying around with gentoo for a day or two now

I think I'm going to get the box set. I love RH, but of course that came to an end...

It is looking very promising, especially since it comes with an NTFS resizer. Damn Windows partition...

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

w00t
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I reinstall windows whenever I start to have serious problems with it. The last time I had a problem with windows and had to reinstall was 1 1/2 years ago.

Windows runs great for me.
    =

What I do is every 6 months or so I go websirfing for all the non-critical software I have, then download and burn updated versions if any exist, or upgrade major version of more important stuff like antivirus and word processors. I take a weekend to install everything, which includes all the patches, updates, and plugins. Once that is all done I ghost the system to a hard drive only used for backups.

Then I can restore whichever OS it is I want to anytime I want, and I only need to get things like security patches and virus definitions newer than the date on the ghost file. I usually reghost from those images every 2 weeks.

Between Slackware and Windows, it usually requires two 12-hour days for everything, which I set aside a weekend for.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    I reinstall windows whenever I start to have serious problems with it. The last time I had a problem with windows and had to reinstall was 1 1/2 years ago.

Windows runs great for me.
    I'm the same as cheyenne here. I usually only do it when I have problems. Of course that is with windows, I regularly wipe one of my computers just trying different things and different distros of linux. Does anyone know, if you are wiping a windows installation, what you need to get for Norton so that you can continue getting your updates when you reinstall. I really need to reinstall my XP pro box and don't know what to do to keep my Norton subscription.

I just reinstall Norton and the subscription is automatically renewed... they think it's a new copy. If you're using 2004, which requires activation, it might be a little more difficult.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I am about to reinstall norton right now but what I am thinking is going to happen is that I will have another full year of free updates.