Thread: What is a firewall and which should I use?

What is a firewall and which should I use?

We see a lot of newbies coming in and asking about firewalls.

They mostly want to know two things.

What is it/what does it do?

Which one should I use?

SecurityFocus has written an article about it and think it would be good for newbies to check out.

This might even be a good article to pass around to your coworkers so they can help protect their home computers from attack.

Home User Security: Personal Firewalls
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Nice post man... I will have to do that (as most of the people i know havent got a clue...)
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

Absolutely great artical phishphreek80. I have been looking for something that explains firewalls and offers a comparison of the different ones for some time. I have alot of members( in various groups I belong to) that I have been trying to explain the benifits of a good firewall to, and this will make it much easier for me.
    Thank You.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I posted that already here: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=252146

Anyway, more people read that article now
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

My bad. I didn't see it.

It is a good article though.

It won't let me delete for some reason... if a mod wants, feel free to remove this thread.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    It is a popular topic. My article is not as detailed I don't think, but the article I wrote on firewalls back in March or so is one of my most read pages on my site.

Here is a link: What Is a Firewall?