direct cable connection ?

Thread: direct cable connection ?

direct cable connection ?

I have a win 3.1 laptop with only a floppy drive. I have about 40mb of programs and games on this computer that I want to move to another computer. no pcmcia or other ways to transfer. what is my best way to transfer? Null modem cable? is there a way to avoid getting the cable, or is it possible to program the pins within dos or basic?
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn\'t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

As a work around, since you only have 40meg to download, you could do a P2P direct connection over the internet and download your programs to your other box that way.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

schumanusa if you have those programs install they aren't going to work if you copy them and save them in to other drive

here is a little prog in spanish that i have that lets you cut big files so that you can save it other drives such ass floppyes and then it paste them back to gether again. or you can take out the HD of the laptop and use a 2.5" to 3.5" ide Notebook adapter and put that Hd as a slave and trasfe it to another HD that has already windowsintalled

P2P won't really work because I don't have a modem on this beast, this thing is 13 years old. Windows 3.1 isn't as serious about the copying issue for installed programs. there isn't really any DLL's to worry about. Cutting files is an ok idea. I have 40 mb to transfer so I'm looking at buying stock in floppy disks or spending the next month moving them. I've heard of interlnk and was wondering what the secret was to making that work.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn\'t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

schumanusa: you could use interlink but that would require a null modem cable, note that a null modem will be a very slow trasnfer, but you don't have any better options. You oculd also use PK zip to make a multifloppy zip of the system. A finial option depends on your laptop, if it used miniide you could plug the HD into a difrent laptop/ with the correct adapter into a PC and just do a cut and paste .
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

A few more thoughts:

1. Borrow an Iomega external zip drive (100Mb)
    2. Borrow an external LSA drive (120Mb)
    3. Borrow a null modem cable, or better still buy one, they are useful to have around and shouldn't cost more than $10? bballad is right though, they are slow (about 2,600 Baud as I recall).

You can get away with just one box of floppies. Just re-cycle them. OK it may take you 4 hours to do the whole job, but you could always get yourself a couple of six-packs and play some music?

Good luck