Thread: Rudolph's XSS Christmas- Hacker Challenge

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Rudolph's XSS Christmas- Hacker Challenge

Ed Skoudis has posted a hacker's challenge on TechRepublic. His scenario, based off the classic Christmas tale of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and his buddy Hermie the elf, illustrates an attack attempt and asks readers to try and determine what the goal of the attack was and how Rudolph and Hermie might protect their network from it.

Readers have until December 17 to submit their solutions to rudolph@counterhack.net . Ed Skoudis will judge the entries and select the best 5. The winners will receive a copy of Ed Skoudis' latest book- Malware: Fighting Malicious Code .

To join in the challenge click here: Holiday Crack the Hacker Challenge: Rudolph's XSS Christmas

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    That's actually not that difficult. The first and second questions regard the attack itself and it is a fairly well known attack, and yes, I moved myself to the Nice list....

The other two I'd have to look into to come up with the exact solution.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    You mean you didn't make the Nice List from the merits of your own actions? Tsk tsk.

I think its intended more as a fun challenge aimed to market the new book- not so much to stump everyone.

I love the book by the way. I have over 200 books on every aspect of information security lining my bookshelves and this is the first one I have seen completely dedicated to malicious code. It is comprehensive and well-written. So, if you don't end up winning a copy I would still recommend you go buy one.

I've read at least one of Ed's books possible more - he knows his stuff and his writing style is far better than most.... I'll probably just go out and buy it....

As for the "merits of my actions"..... *cough*.... The evil streak in me is still a little too wide apparently......
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

this sounds like a fun challenge. i wish i knew enough to solve it.
    the computer was the best invention ever made if you agree with me say I

favyan: This particualr attack has been indirectly referenced a couple of times in the last week or two here..... That should narrow down your search.....

lol....actually, a little more directly than indirectly...too bad I already have my copy

I'm in class with Ed this week here in DC at the CDI East conference. Not only are his books good, he is one hell of an instructor. He knows his stuff, and he can break it down into English so all (Well more likely most) of the 100 or so people in the room walk away with an understanding of the topics he covers. This is not to detract from the book, it is also very well done.

He has several other challenges posted on his web site:

www.counterhack.net

He is a little shameless about the whole self promotion gig, but it is done in an entertaining and professional manner. The other challenges are also "Parodies" of various classics.
    \"If you take a starving dog in off the street and make him prosperous he will not bite you, this is the principle difference between a dog and a man\" - Mark Twain