Thread: STP question

STP question

Started wondering while I was lying in my bed yesterday

What would happen in a switched lan where STP is enabled and one would set Max Age smaller than Hello Time???
    Would the lan stay in learning mode forever then?
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I'm pretty sure that the network would never converge.
    Max age (IEEE default value 20s) is the life an information, and hello (IEEE default value 2s) is the frequency of information exchange.
    When you discard an information before receiving any you're in trouble. I never tried but as a result I guess that every single brigde would think they are root, and you'll get a big bad loop...
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Thx, already started wondering if someone had actually heard about the STP ever on the internet? (No replies on this question on 2 other forums either).
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Well very few are layer 2 aware...
    When you've got your PC directly connected on the web by DSL or whatever, you may even not known what is a layer 2.

Anyway, I've seen recently some excellent post on AO about bridge threats and security issue.

When you've got your PC directly connected on the web by DSL or whatever
    That's the case with me, i've never seen a switch or a router in reality (only my wireless dsl router here then but no normal router). (I'm only 16 so I have 0 work experience).
    I got interested in Layer 2 when I read "Fun with the Spanning Tree Protocol" (Latest phrack).

www.elhalf.com

I see your are one of these curious guys... Curiosity is somthing we share

Well you may be interested in a tut I wrote quite a long time ago:
    Layer 2 threat & mitigation

I've already read that a while ago
    Thx anyway.

www.elhalf.com

Originally posted here by SirDice
    You might like to read Fun with the Spanning Tree Protocol at the Phrack site.
    Is that right?

Originally posted here by el-half

I got interested in Layer 2 when I read "Fun with the Spanning Tree Protocol" (Latest phrack).

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Just Another Geek
    Crap. My mistake That's what you get around this time of the year. Too many christmas/old year drinks with the bosses. Too much beer, not enough sleep and still making it on time at work. Oh well....
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.