Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help !!!!!

Help !!!!!

Im not sure if this is where this belongs. if not plz move it to the appropriate forum. thxs. My question was: my good time friend at my church bought a dell laptop about 2yrs ago, and she was using it for work and home. She hasnt touched the laptop since then. and had just recently needed to use it but she has forgotten the password for the nt login. She is running windows nt . Is there anyway to bypass it or to reset the password. I was thinking of running a dos brute force attack. any suggestions.
    There is only 10 types of people who understand binary those who do and those who don\'t.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The Offline NT Password and Registry Editor should be able to help (assuming you have a floppy drive)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes.

There are a number of ways to do this. There is a boot floppy that can be created from a particular website. It is a linux boot disk and it will allow you to reset any password on existing accounts, inlcuding the admin account. If you want specifics, PM me and I will give you the link and instructions.

--TH13

EDIT: Looks like MsMittens beat me to the punch. Anyway, if you still want to know how to use the floppy, I'll be glad to help you.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Use the old linux bootdisk method to change the administrator password, and you're set.

Here's a site that describes the process.

Good Luck!

Well, I guess MsMittens and TheHorse and I were replying at the same time
    - Boyam

All NT's usernames and passwords are stored in a key in the registry called "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM".
    This key is also reflected in a file called "C:\WINNT\system32\config\SAM".
    But this file can not be accessed while NT is running, so to access this file you have to boot your computer from a boot disk with the tool called "NTFSDOS" (check this one) to access the NT partition and then copy the SAM file.

Then checkout a program call L0phtCrack

Also check the web for a couple of programs called pwdump & pwdump2

Cheers:
    DjM

Has anyone had a successful reset the way ms.mittens described ??
    There is only 10 types of people who understand binary those who do and those who don\'t.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Yes. I've done it in class for NT and 2000.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

thanks ms.mittens

yes,i had done setting a new password with such a bootdisk without any problems.
    Industry Kills Music.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I've used that on 2000 before, worked great.