Buying a new guitar, yay or nay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new guitar, yay or nay

Token drunken Irish guy

Buying a new guitar, yay or nay

Ok I am getting a new guitar for XMas and I live at home with my parents, though I do have an attic. I dont play in a band and have no jamming place eg garage shed etc only an attic.

I want to know whether you recommend these guitars, which one and whther the amps are too load etc.

Good way of finding all the hidden musicians of AO I guess.

Your opinions basically

First a Squier Strar by Fender Sunburst
    Includes Fender Frontman 15 G amplifie, strap tuition vidoe and plectrum

cost 299euro

Second

Yamaha Electric Guitar Outfit

Includes 10 watt RMS am, tutor book and cd I already have got it off a friend and carry case

cost 269.00euro

Thanx for the info

Ennis.

Banned
    I used to play guitar but my last decent one I traded for an old ibm computer ages ago.
    dumb mistake.. it was a pre-cbs fender mustang.. now worth a lot more than a pc-at

both of those options would be ok for a beginner, ennis.. But I'd recommend buying a really decent used guitar like a fender strat, gibson les-paul.. or any high end model..

just think about the future.. you might find a few buddies and start a band.. your top end guitar will be the one who everyone will drool over.. they'll say " hey let's get ennis to join our band, he's got good taste, I hope he can play the damn thing.. " LOL..

as for amps.. always a tough choice.. I would vote for a marshall (200 watt) but I know you're trying to save a few euro's.. so just get something you can plug headphones into and disconnect main speaker outputs to.. so you can play it in the bathroom or on the bus, train, plane.. hehe wherever.. (they have amps you can clip to your belt )

Now I expect that this won't help in your decision making but I felt it was my duty to say..

now rock on ennis.. our newest robby kreiger wannabe...

ps... joe walsh is the king of bottleneck slide.. not robbie..

Banned
    Firstly..pick the guitar that FEELS good. Onr that fits to you, the neck is comfortable to chord on. I have small hands and have played some guitars that are far to large for me to play.

PersonallyI prefer to stick to the Stratocaster.fender is a great name and the guitar will hold its value.

I had both a squire strat and tele.....in my youth.
    paired with my Twin....they rocked.

gg

I love guitar, my girlfriend plays it, wish I could play like that, the problem is, I'd rather sit behind my computer than learn guitar.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Token drunken Irish guy
    Originally posted here by jenjen
    I
    both of those options would be ok for a beginner, ennis.. But I'd recommend buying a really decent used guitar like a fender strat, gibson les-paul.. or any high end model..

just think about the future.. you might find a few buddies and start a band.. your top end guitar will be the one who everyone will drool over.. they'll say " hey let's get ennis to join our band, he's got good taste, I hope he can play the damn thing.. " LOL..

as for amps.. always a tough choice.. I would vote for a marshall (200 watt) but I know you're trying to save a few euro's.. so just get something you can plug headphones into and disconnect main speaker outputs to.. so you can play it in the bathroom or on the bus, train, plane.. hehe wherever.. (they have amps you can clip to your belt )

Now I expect that this won't help in your decision making but I felt it was my duty to say..

now rock on ennis.. our newest robby kreiger wannabe...

ps... joe walsh is the king of bottleneck slide.. not robbie..
    Ok thx for the advice jenjen, I think I might be going for the strat as I have read some reviews and for a beginner like me it seems like a sensible choice! There is an offer in my local guitar shop that I will be taking advantage off that should do me for a while.

I wont be joining a band for a long time, I dont think I am good enough and wont be for a while so maybe I should stick with this?

I am obsessed with Robby, gonna chop his hands off and steal them, crazy thing is he was only playing electric guitar for 6 months before he joined the doors!

Banned
    LOL.. yeah, I know all about your obsession with robbie, ennis.. well maybe not ALL.. but I've read enough threads from you about him.. (oops I spelled his last name wrong in my post, don't neg me for that.. hehe)

the strat is a great guitar.. the telecaster is good as well.. as gypsygeek pointed out..
    the tele has a pretty unique sound.. even though I don't like him, neil young used a tele for most of his rocking tunes... if you can get a strat.. DO IT.. you'll never regret that decision..

here is a link to one of those clip on amps.. it may sound like crap but you can grab a used amp later on.... http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--DANE15

OR.. you can get a small preamp and plug it into your line inputs on your stereo.. don't try using the phono inputs on a stereo.. they have an equalization curve built into them.. plus you'd overdrive the input too much.. unless you like gross distortion, that is.. hehe..

robbie only played for 6 months before the doors ? now that's something I didn't know..
    I tried to bait you into discussing who the king of bottleneck slides is.. but you didn't fall for it.. hehe.. oh well, I guess you know that I'm right..

kinda off topic but my take would have to be the yamaha i mean im not a guitar genius or in fact i dont even kno how to play the guitar but i do kno yamaha has if not the best kind one of them!
    P-I-M-P

Banned
    LarryKingSux... imho yamaha sucks.. for a guitar that is.. their keyboards are ok 'tho.

i agree with jenjen on the fact that yamaha sucks. i was going to buy one of them a couple years ago, but it played like crap. so i got my fender strat Moral of the story : Don't Buy Guitars from a company that makes Motorcycles

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Ennis, stick with the Fender, nuf said.

Cheers:
    DjM