Thread: Need Help Protecting E-Mail

Need Help Protecting E-Mail

Hi, I'm new here and I need some help. I split up with my girlfriend about 3 months ago and have started seeing someone else. The girl I'm seeing lives about 2 hours away so we do most of our talking via E-Mail. It now seems that my Ex has found a way to hack my yahoo account and is sending my girlfriend malicus E-Mails from my account. The first time it happened I explained it to her and changed my password, but it seems my Ex has found a way around that. I have even tried some of the tips on passwords from this site. I have heard that AOL E-Mail is harder to hack. Is this true? If so I'll get an AOL account. Thanks Meggaman.

The quickest solution is get another account from anywhere other than yahoo. Only use that account to talk with your new G/F. Tell her if she gets anything from anything from any other account, it's not you and she should ignore it.

You might want to check out hushmail

Cheers:
    DjM

Banned
    Everything is easy to hack if your girlfriend know how. Why don't you download AIM and talk like that and don't give anyone else your screen name. The most possible best solution is to use an alpha-numneric password like d0b3rm4n66 or something like that.

lol,
    to hack youre account like you called maybe she is guessing youre secret question since she was youre girlfriend she has some of the data in there like Dob, Zip code, name etc so just change that an the secret question and the paswords and check to see if youre computer has any keylogers or any trojans installed, you could use Tauscan and Spybot search and Destroy or just update youre virus definitions and run a full system scan.
    let me look the links to those programs if im too lazy and don't post them just do a google search on them.

Have a nice day. and stay away from girl trouble

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Meggaman, have you checked your machine to see if any applications were "installed" without your knowledge? Perhaps something that is logging keystrokes or something like that?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks everyone! I will try opening a new account and only useing it to talk with my GF. I had thought the problem was my secret question and had changed it a while back. I think she has somone else helping her because she doesn't know very much about computers. Thanks againe.

Try:

http://www.fepg.net/

They list around 1500 free e-mail providers in 85 countries

If you use a foreign one (pick a language you know the ex. doesn't speak) and it gets hacked, then you definalely have spyware running on your box.

Cheers

Try using a pop-3 or IMAP email service?

There harder to get access to, since you need to get info on pop & smtp server info, and a email client. Most cable ISP's provide pop email for there users. Hopefully you and your ex arent using the same ISP. Some pop servers will not allow traffic for some time if you get a password wrong 10 times in a row (or something like that) - this lowers the chances of getting your account hacked by password crackers.

Have fun.

email privacy

Check out pretty good privacy or another encryption method - give your girlfriend the key and tell her that only messages that need the key are from you.